Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How is a registry set put together?

Hi all,

How is a registry set put together? Do the coins have to be a certain grade in order for them to register them? I am in the process of putting together an Eisenhower proof collection and then when I see how the coins will grade maybe registering them.image Most of what I see in the Ike registry are PR69's and 70's. I guess a PR68 will not do.

Thank you,
Micheál

Comments

• << <i>I guess a PR68 will not do. >>

Not at all. The grade doesn't matter whether a coin can be registered, just that the coin goes with the set (i.e. Ike dollars in an Ike set). Don't feel you have to be in the top five to register a set. Create a set that you want and put it up for all to admire.
    Dan

My quarters:
    Silver
    Clad
    Statehood
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have PR68 coins, they're perfectly good Registry coins. They may not earn you a top position, but if you like them, that's all that matters. I doubt that most collectors can distinguish a PR68 from a PR69, a near-CAM from a CAM, or a "just missed" DCAM from a full DCAM. That's why many collectors buy coins that are already slabbed, rather than going through the risk and expense of buying raw coins and having them slabbed, only to have them returned with grades lower than they had hoped to receive. Remember that you can always upgrade coins in your set.

You can start a Registry set with just a single coin, and add to the set as you acquire additional pieces. It's fun to watch Registry participants add to their sets, and to congratulate them on their successes.

Good luck with your Ikes, and as David Hall would say, "Have fun with your coins".

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • The best way is "ONE COIN AT A TIME"
    FORMER # 1 NOW # 3 ON ALL TIME FINEST CLAD QUARTER COLLECTION

PCGS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Ed
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    All that is required is that they are in a PCGS slab and belong to the set you are trying to enter them into

if you have 1 slabbed PCGS, enter it and see if you are in the top 100 for that set

many sets have partially completed entries - and some of the sets from the 1800's may not be completable.
  • Register for fun, as long as you enjoy the challenge that is all that matters.
    But beware it can be addictive!
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Don't worry about what other people might think on your set grades.
    If you are having fun collecting it, that should be the important part.
    I'm about 10 grade points below most sets around mine, primarily
    because I include coins like a Poor-01 chain cent in my type set. Does
    it kill my grade average? You bet. Am I proud to have a chain cent,
    even one that is practically a bare copper disk? Yup. Heck, sometimes
    finding lower graded coins is harder than finding a proof 69.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    It's about collecting to the best of your ability ("Buy the best you can afford" has always been the numismatists' credo), not your pocketbook, whether you buy one coin a decade, or you buy a completed top reg. set ea. month... Just have fun! image
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    It's all a ploy to generate revenue for PCGS and also a way to have all the better coins in the world certified by PCGS. All about exploiting competititive tendecies with the Master Plan revolving around M O N E Y ! Sure, great fun but with each new coin added to population the value of a rare coin diminishes....it then becomes a question of grade rarity....a number on a little piece of paper inside sealed plastic arrived at by Company people's "opinions"-with most of the highest graded coin belonging to the person that can most afford it-the owner of the Company. Just stop and think how utterly crazy the statement you just made truly is..."Well I guess MS 68 won't be good enough" We've all gotten away from what we once were...coin collectors. Now-everything has to be PCGS and a certain # that you one day may attain if you spend enough M O N E Y !!! With it a known fact that there are very few perfect coins in the world -the though that an MS 68 coin isn't good enough is insane! I mean R E A L L Y !
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Thanks everyone! One coin at a time is how I am doing this. My first graded Ike is a 1971-S PR68DCAM and I am 3 Ikes short of a full proof set. However, I am no hurry and many of my proof Ikes have not even been graded yet. I plan to send a few at a time after the holidays have ended. I just wanted to get an idea of how a registry was put together. Finishing in the top 5 is not my goal. I just want to have a finished set for all to enjoy. My collecting pleases me and that's all that mattersimage

Happy Holidays to all and thanks,
    Micheál