Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Rare Franklin in the Heritage F.U.N. auction

Lot #6961 in the auction is a mega-rare 1949-S Prooflike (Specimen??) in a NGC 66FBL holder. This is one of approx. 50-100 strikes from the same die that can only be described as a Specimen or trial strike as this was San Fran's first year of issue. This one is so nice that it exhibits cameo contrast on the reverse! A rarity of the first order!!

Comments

• Options
    Ed:

We saw it!! I was going to drop you a line this weekend about this coin. It does look pretty nice. I wonder though if it came from the same die as mine - I don't know if it's the picture, but there appears to be slight differences between mine and the "recognized" one. Also - mine's typical according to Ehrmantraut's book in that it shows a good number of die polish marks. Care to speculate??

Frank
  • Options
    Frank:

From the 8 or 10 that I have seen over the years, I am convinced they are from the same die! BYW, I can't believe that is a 66!! Yours has the best reverse of any I have seen; I own 2 in PCGS 64 holders, (they have no clue how to grade these; don't get me started!!!) one is a later die-state and is a 64; the other was purchased raw at a Baltimore show last year, rivals yours, but no die polish lines AND some cameo on the reverse. Paid a guy a 125 bucks for it- he thought it was ugly! Was absolutely *&%$#$$%!!! when it came back a 64! Showed it to Tomaska at the ANA, and he said to resubmit it, and noted that the coin appeared
    double-struck, especially the reverse. Check yours, around the eagle at the head and top of the wings...I am certain that they qualify as branch-mint proofs, or at the very least, specimens.

Ed
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PL Roosies, Wash quarters and Franklins are very cool coins. I have mentioned before that I have collected them for a couple decades now and built a particularly nice MS Roosie (partial) collection in PL. The quarters and Franklins I have found are much more difficult to locate in strong PL. I look forward to lot viewing the 49(s) Franklin.

Incidently, there is also a 1961 DDO Franklin graded PCGS-PR64 in the sale (lot 7087). I have been a bit surprised the demand has not be greater for this particular (rare) doubled die, as doubled die interest has increased I believe in series such as Lincolns and Wash Quarters of late.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Ed:

Thanks for the information. I'm going to the FUN show next month and I hope to show my coin to several people and see what this other PL looks like. I agree with you that on the picture the coin looks rather beat up but it'll be interesting to see what it looks like in person. Maybe I'll find a companion piece for mine without die polish marks image

Frank
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't the planchets themselves have to be more polished than usual for the end product to be proof like?
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Mark - I think the planchets are shiny enough just by normal processing that when they get stamped by a polished die they get the prooflike effect.