Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Heritage 2004 FUN Lincolns...most important coin?

Some very tough grades, some very tough dates. Which coin is the most important among the top offerings?

RELLA
Do not fall into the error of the artisan
who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
twenty times.

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    My choice under "other" would be the 1909VDB Matte proof being offered in the Fun sale. I believe that coin and the 1990 no S proof are the two toughest coins (by date, NOT condition) to get. Both have less than 200 available in the world according to most experts. The POPS show less than 150 of the 1909VDB's in all grades by all the services and less than 40 of the 1990 no S in all grades by all the services. If you have the money, this is a good investment IMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm...I decided not to include proof coins in the poll but forgot to mention it was only MS wheats that I was thinking about comparing. Good point on the value of those two coins, though.

RELLA
    twenty times.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I picked the 27-s. Someone could pick up some tough key dates at this auction.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Hard to say, too many cookies in the cookie jar. Something that surpized me though was the 23 different PCGS 1909-S VDB's (and 2 non PCGS).
  • Options

I'm going with the 21-S. As far as sight unseen rarity, I think the 20-S is probably tougher. But the poll asked which one I would chase for my collection. Based on eye appeal, strike, etc., I think the 21-S is a nicer coin. Both the 20-S and 21-S will bring about $20,000-$25,000 each. Since they are both in that ultra-tough category, I'd go for the better looking coin (at least based on the Heritage imagingimage).
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roger: Easy - the 20(s).

But, I have a question for you - why did these coins not get placed in the Platinum sale, yet the 14(s) and svdb did? What is your read on that?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Mitch: Good question. The 20-S and 21-S and probably several others will smoke the two Lincolns in the Platinum sale
  • Options
    09-S VDB & 14-S VS. 20-S & 21-S

Good question...

I think a far greater number of people would have been confused if KEY DATES in GEM CONDITION like the 09-S VDB and the 14-S were left out in favor of the 20-S and 21-S.

Maybe another thread/poll...true killer coins, but with less star power than the historic keys, when placed in a high profile auction slot such as the Platinum Night in place of the "keys"...does that hurt or help their selling price?...and whatever the price, does the presence (and hammer price) of such lesser known rarities help or hurt how others in the hobby might perceive the series?

The way it is right now...the real prizes are all together in the same session with the Sadler collection and its contribution to the lineup, and that isn't totally a bad thing.

One other thing...the 20-S is the easy choice just picking from the list, and the 21-S is a solid choice and just about as nasty to find nice as any other S-mint from....well really from about 1914-1928, but I really like the 1915 as a sneaky sleeper pick and if pressed just might pick it out of the pack.

RELLA
    twenty times.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What.... no 1963 DCAM? image
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    TDN, he left proofs outimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Damn, TDN beat me to the punch. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Rella,

When is your auction company going to get a coin that I need?
    I thought you worked for a first class coin company.

Jack the Knife - The 21 s is the nicest coin in the group.I use to own it.IMO it will cost you somewhere between 25,000 to $35,000 with the juice.

stewart
  • Options

Stewart,
    Don't bang on Rella, there isn't an auction company in the country that is going to get a Lincoln that you need. Of the four or five or whatever it is that you need for a perfect set, if one becomes available it will be traded privately I'm sure.
    Now, on to the 21-S. You really think I'll have to go to $25,000-$35,000? I was hoping the 20-S would take off some of the heat and I would pick it up for the bargain price of $22,500 image. Oh well, there is always the 30-S or the 27-S or the 17-S or the 15-P or the ?

You want to know what will really happen? When all is said and done, I'll have chased all these lots, but will wind up with some $100 coin I need to fill a hole. I'll post which one it is after the auction.

Edited to add:
    Actually, what will really happen is that Rella will find some way to snipe at a live auction and I'll wind up with nothing!!!
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Jack the Knife -

The one Lincoln cent that I have been searching for in a PCGS first generation holder is the 1927 D is a 66 red holder.I have been looking for it for more than 15 years ! Noone I know has ever spoke of or seen the coin.

stewart
  • Options

Stewart,

Interesting that you have never seen the coin. I went to my "Lincoln Cent Histories" file (compiled listing of all high grade Lincolns I've seen since 1990) and there is no mention of it there. We should put out a missing coin ad like they did for the 5th 1913 Liberty nickel! Let's find that coin!!
  • Options
    Some of the modern 70DCAM proofs (post 64) are going to screme. These will become the leadership pieces in the entire Lincoln run. Look for some of the lower pop zinc dates to bring thousands each. And, those will look like a bargin in five years. The key is to look for the truly perfect pieces.

If you can get them for 2K or so, IMO the pieces to pick up are dates like the 83, 88, 94, 95, and 97. Pieces with a current pop of 15 to 25. The lower pop dates are great, but will go for way more, so they are riskier. In some of the years. production was very high quality. So the higher pop dates which can be bought cheaper might be too common in the future.

Greg
  • Options

Typetone,

I have no intention of igniting the debate about "moderns v. classics", as I agree that the definition of either is vague at best. I just find it hard to believe that late date Memorial Proofs would warrant such spirited bidding as will be seen with the 20-S or 21-S Lincoln. Again, I realize that it is perspective about what constitutes rarity. It's just that I don't happen to share the perspective that late date Memorial Proofs are rare when compared to MS red S-mints from the early twenties.

Not making a proclamation, just expressing an opinionimage.
  • Options
    Jacktheknife:

Of course, my view is only an opinion as well. I'm sure the early MS key dates will get the highest prices and most spirited bidding. But, the survey seems to be asking what I would go for. If they can be bought right, I like the 70DCAM moderns. As long as I have been collecting, I have never seen quality, or best available being a bad buy. At current prices I just think some of these modern 70DCAMs dates are good purchases, even assuming future pop increases. Just look for the better lower pop dates. Of course, price is important. At some point I would give up chasing a piece. For example, on an 83 in 70DCAM, I would drop out over 3K for sure and maybe earlier. And, on the early mint state pieces, if bidding is lighter than expected, and prices are lower than expected, I might jump in. However, I am sure the pricing on the earlies will be above my levels.

Thank you for not getting into the modern/classic debate. There is no doubt that the pieces you cite will always be rarer the the modern 70DCAMs. They will also always be priced much higher. The question is, where is the best value? Its all a rarity/condition/price trade-off. The answers are not easy. But, I don't find it worthwhile to arbitrarily stay out of an area based on emotion rather than thought.

Greg
  • Options
    OK...once again for everyone's enlightenment...my (not stated well or clearly if at all) intention was to ask what coin y'all would chase within the 09-58 basic MS set ONLY.

Typetone,

Not sure I agree with the value proposition, but if your desire is to cherrypick the BEST "perfect" PR70DCAM Lincolns, you should make an effort to inspect the FUN lots at length. Some of them are simply incredible, even compared to others of the same grade.

Stewart,

I'll rumble with you later...I'm not ignoring your attempt to start something, I'm just too busy right now. image

RELLA

twenty times.
  • Options
    Rella:

Sorry, I didn't know you were interested in just discussing the 09 to 58 MS pieces. On those, I will defer to the more knowledgeable to pontificate.

On the 70DCAMs, I absolutely agree that you need to buy only those which are perfect under 5x. If you can find any flaw at all, DO NOT BUY IT! The 70DCAM prices I cited should only be paid for the truly perfect pieces. Otherwise you are buying a 69 in 70 clothing. Those will almost certainly not hold their value. The true 70s will be the big winners. If you are really good, buy 69s and look for coins to upgrade. But warning, at best you will find one out of a few hundred, you will get a huge headache trying to find the small flaws, and when you are finished you will have a roomful of 69 DCAMs and nothing to do with them.

Greg
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Again, I realize that it is perspective about what constitutes rarity. It's just that I don't happen to share the perspective that late date Memorial Proofs are rare when compared to MS red S-mints from the early twenties.

>>

In the long run most Lincoln collections will include the memorials. Of perhaps greater importance
    is that due to their wide circulation and availability there will likely be many people who collect only
    the memorial issues. Under these conditions you will see that where two coins are equally rare, it
    will be the memorial with a higher price. There are some dates of these which are surprisingly diff-
    icult to find in nice attractive condition and more that are extremely elusive in high grade gem.

Ignoring the later date coins has had a dramatic impact on their availability in higher grades and these
    will merely trickle onto the market for many years simply because thre are so few collections and so
    few set aside.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

The 30-S is hot out of the gate!
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I voted for the 20-s hands down! If I knew though no-one had voted for 17-s though, I would have voted for that. At least in ms64 21-s seems very overated, much much easier than 20-s or 17-s. In Heritage's auction I hope to bid on either the 64rd 15-s, 16-s, or the 65rb 23-s. I can only afford one of these though. Maybe I can find someone to see them in person for me and tell me which is the nicest, but then hopefully it is not too nice, or else it won't stay within my budget!

So, wow... One could start quite a nice collection buying Legend's 65rd 19-s and 23-s, and then the 17-s,20-s,21-s,27-s from the auction!

Typetone or Cladking--- What do you know about high grade zinc cents? I bought about 50 rolls of them a few weeks ago with really just the purpose of putting together a nice looking (but technically ms67 better) raw set for my own collection. Interesting enough the 2 97-p rolls I had were the nicest overall, but in terms of pops it is the toughest. Do you know why 97-p is tough? What about 95-p? With over 1000 ms68rd DDO's graded, it can't seem that 95-p or any zinc Lincoln (at least mid 90's or later) should be tough in ms68? Would a pcgs ms68rd 1997-p be worth a lot? I have a few I may send in to see if they make it, but I hope to do more learning about grading and get some opinions about the coins first. Anyway, thanks!
  • Options
    haletj:

I only collect the proofs, so I will have to defer on offering an opinion on which mint state pieces might be rarest and in most demand. I'm sure cladking will have some thoughts.

Greg
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most rolls will include coins from only a few die pair and a batch of rolls from
    the same source will include the same few die pair. This makes an assortment
    of rolls to be a very poor sample. It will easily be overrepresented with gems
    or underrepresented.

I'm not extremely familiar with rolls but in my experience the zinc Lincolns are
    easiest to find gem in the mint sets. This applies especially to the '85 to '95 is-
    sues but probably to the later as well. Some of these are nearly flawless and
    extremely Proof Like.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I think the 1930-S ms67. I really love that coin, but it is to expensive for me.
    :-(
    Dennis
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Understand from someone who's seen it that the 20-S has some serious, visible spots on it, and is not good at all for the grade.

Too bad. A tough date gets even tougher.
  • Options

David,

That was my point for not picking it. Roger asked which one I would chase for my collection. Even though the 20-S is probably a tougher coin in 65RD, the 21-S is nicer. That's the coin I would and will chase.
    Jack
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192

<< <i>Understand from someone who's seen it that the 20-S has some serious, visible spots on it, and is not good at all for the grade >>

Boy, just more reason to be annoyed with the grading industry. That is so unfair. Someone could pay many thousands for a coin that if it were in its proper lesser grade holder would be only worth 2 thousand. I hate that so much.
  • Options
    Roger- I like all of the coins you mentioned. I would have picked the 20-S if I hadn't looked at the pictures on Heritage. I think after looking I would have to say the 21-S followed by the 30-S. I will never own any of the coins you mentioned though........so I might as go place my bids on some lesser coins that will be around a thousand or two $....instead of tens of thousands of $$. Marc
    Marc
  • Options

The 30-S is now nuclear, the 20-S and 21-S are clearly on fire and about to go nuclear, the 15-P has caught on fire as well. The 27-S is white hot. All this with 17 days to go. Is there an end to this madness? If so, it will not be at FUN.
  • Options
    Rella why are so many of the Wolrd coins missing pictures for thie upcoming auctions?
    Bill

09/07/2006