Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A couple of new ones(IKE & PEACE $) to guess the grade on...UPDATED

USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Peace dollar looks much better in person as does the Type II IKE. Also, is that toning on the reverse of the Peace; or something worse?

Comments

• Options
    CaptainRonCaptainRon Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    AU RB
    MS 63 Red
  • Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats what I was gonna say, AU on the peace and 63 on old Ike
  • Options
    Two questions:

What is "RB" and "red?"

&

Does everyone think that the Peace Dollar is PCGS Grading worthy?

&

as always, thanks...
  • Options
    I also just noticed a little green spot attached to the 9. Anyone know what that is?
  • Options
    Anyone? I know we have IKE experts; but , where are the Peace Dollar experts.....
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    The Peace Dollar is AU/XF as much as I hate split grades. Net XF-45. It might just be that the picture is out of focus, the the reverse seems to have quite a bit of rub, particularly on the eagle's feathers. I would not spend the money to slab it.

CaptainRon is joking about the RB and "red" designations. Those are only given out to coppers. It's just that the photos have a very red tint to them.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    I think the photo is out of focus as are all the pics that I take. I'm lousy at it. A $400.00 camera and I still can't get it right image

All the feathers and detail are pretty much there; it was more the "toning" that I was worried about. As far as the red, I'm going to have to change the background color of these coins....once I figure out howimage
  • Options
    I have both of these myself. I'll guess MS62 on the Peace, and MS63 on the Ike. Actually, these are the exact same grades I have on these two coins, if these are correct.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    Usual caveats about photos, but... unfortunately I think your Ike is circulated (rub visible on portrait) and would grade AU58. If it's uncirculated, then it looks MS64.

The good news is it might be a Type 2 and worth something even in AU58, again I can't really tell from the photo. Compare to here:

1972 Ike Types - History and Attribution
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    AU58 on the peace and I agree I wouldn't take the time to send it to be slabbed. The Ike looks MS62/63 to meimage
  • Options
    The IKE looks 10 times better in person. The majority of the junk you're seeing is on the plastic from the cardboard holder.

I may send the Peace in anyway only because I have ALL my other key dates slabbed. If I don't do it; it will just keep bugging me and hounding me....image Anyone else ever do this to themselves? image
  • Options
    If that's not rub AND it's a Type 2 that's a pretty good score... is it a Type 2 when you compare it in real life to the attribution photos I linked?
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    Tad-

That is a type 2 IKE. I see the rub on the portrait. I agree, AU58 from the photo. But, to look at it in person, maybe a 63/4.
  • Options
    UPDATE:

1972 - not submitted
    1928 - Anacs UNC DETAILS NET AU50 CLEANEDimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file