Home Q & A Forum
Options

A combined question on double dies and RPMs

What does PCGS use to determine which double dies or RPMs to recognize and designate on the slab?

As an example, I got back a 1943 DDO Jefferson nickel that did not get attributed but it was not the FS-029 'double eye' - is that the only one that gets listed?

Another example - the redbook has the Roosevelt 1950 S/D listed, but PCGS has none graded or for that matter a code for submission

Does have to be in the redbook, clearly seen without loupe. or what?

There are many RPMs that PCGS does not recognize - do I have to send to ANACS if I want them shown?

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    PCGS recognizes the "more significant" varieties. Sometimes that means varieties listed in the Redbook. Sometimes that means varieties that are easy to see without billion power microscopes. Sometimes that means varieties that all Set Registry participants want to include in their sets.

When there is more than one verion, or "state" of a variety, PCGS in general will recognize the most prominent version (or FS number) of a variety. We recognize the most easily seen, most valuable version.

There are RPMs that PCGS does not recognize. If you want PCGS to grade them you can submitt them under our "Mint Error" service and request that we put the FS number on them.

David