Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Back from ANACS - - - VAM experts need some help on a 1878 CC VAM24

Just bought a 1878 CC today and it is a VAM24. The info I have on $$$ is about as old as dirt. It's either a AU58 or a MS61 (obviously I need to send it in though, which I'm planning on doing). But does somebody have an idea what this vam is worth? The vam pictures aren't great but I am 100% sure it is the VAM24. Here's a couple pics at different angles of the coin itself to give you an idea of the grade.

Edited: Played around with the camera and got these pics of the doubling and the dot in the CC.

Comments

• Options
    what no vam experts here?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not currently up on the values of VAM 24. I thought that VAM6 and 18 were the 2 1878-cc Morgans that had the most significant obverse doubling for that date. In any event, the CC Morgans have had a good run and it is difficult to predict when and where (in terms of prices) it will end. Gilbert may have a better idea as to its value.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    According to what I've been able to find out about it the VAM24 the obverse doubling is about as dramatic as the VAM6 & VAM18 but much less common. My old top 100 guide only shows a pop of 1 in MS and a handful in AU so it can't be too common. I appreciate any information anybody has on this one since I'm not into VAM's. I did send it in today to ANACS so we'll get it confirmed as well and put into plastic.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    The leaves in Liberty's head-dress are doubled, but not Liberty's ear, the date or the stars. Rarer than VAM 6, the VAM 24 has almost identical doubling on the leaves, but the mintmark has a dot of metal inside the left "C". Note alignment of left "C" to bow.

RCI Prices - Winter 2003 $275 in AU58 and Unknown above MS61. Old MS60 price was $400 (2+ years ago)

The price guide also notes a VAM-18 sharing some of these characteristics???? I have no further information on this.
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    1878CC, Vam 24 is a Top100 coin, with a rarity factor of R7 and considered "ultr-rare" in AU/MS grades. There have been a total of 65 certified (3MS and 62 circ).

Last reported trades are Au55 $250/Au58 $275/ms60 $400

FYI - The Vam18 is even tougher than this coin.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Hey you guys are great! I knew somebody would know. Thanks alot guys!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I would like to thank you all for your help. Just got it back from ANACS and it did grade AU58 (no surprise there) and is VAM 24 DDO. Will be going to Ebay shortly.

Pic in it's new Plastic home:

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Defenitely a nice coin!!!

Dennis

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file