Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What's the mintage of the UK 1875-H Farthing?

What's the mintage of the UK 1875-H Farthing?
Glenn

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6,093,000, according to Krause. The no-H coin is actually scarcer that year.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    %$#&@$%!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    There are rare varieties of that date. Check with Colin Cooke's website for details.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    The 1875 is an interesting date for the farthing.

The 1875H is really VERY common. It will only cost $20-30 for a nice unc lustre one, if that. The "no H" is rare in the better grades. There are two sizes of date of the "no H", small and large, the former being rarest.

HOWEVER back to the 1875H. Note the queens brooch on her bodice. If you can see the full brooch you have an extremely rare coin. As wybrit said, Colin Cooke has a pic of a poorish VF specimen and it is his collection coin!!! ie "not for sale" on his site. This really proves it's rarity.

I sold two this year. One in GF for £200 and one in nasty VF for £300. They are the only ones I've seen. Both were picked out of low grade lots, one by me and one by a colleague, where in both cases the dealer was unaware.

There are so few Ebayers up to date on this that if I had one I would never let it go on there. The price would probably not be realized.

Anyone interested in coppers would do well to go and have a look at Cooke's section on these.

So if you're lurking around rubbish bins remember 75H = Full Brooch

L
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    So if you're lurking around rubbish bins remember 75H = Full Brooch

LOL!

1875H is one date I always check for that feature. I've had no luck finding one yet though. Still, it's easier to spot than the 1862 with large 8 in the date!

I think that there are enough ebayers like Lloyd, Beefeater2, ohnosecond (Colin Cooke) and myself who do know what to look for on that date, so a sniping war might ensue if one went up there.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.