Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Prediction: Pattern Liberty Nickels and Shield Nickels...

Will be among the very first when a pattern registry is created.

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick: That is kind of neat, since I collect all pattern nickels. How about other pattern nickel designs - will they also get covered somehow? Say the J-1050-1055 coins?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    That wouldn't surprise me in the least.
  • Options
    Good to know.

Personally, in light of the incredible depth of the Registry now (Euro coins, misc. foreign coins, year sets and the like) I have my doubts that the mere existence of a Registry for patterns will create that much more additional frenzy in the pattern market. Couple that with the reality that "completing" a collection of pattern nickels for example includes buying out the Smithsonian and a host of other museums image The "typical" Registry set builders like to COMPLETE something - just not likely the case with many misc. pattern collections.

Hey, don't get me wrong - it is a cool event, but, as you know, serious pattern collectors are often a certain "breed" and I would be surprised (but pleased) if the Registry had a huge impact on those collectors' habits. As for possibly drawing in the 20th century "Registry players" to the new field of patterns - yes, there is potential there to be sure. Commercializing pattern collecting - it has its pros and cons as far as I am concerned though.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    It depends on the coin. The more common (high R6) Lib Nickels are about $4k in 65. The high R7s are closer to $8k +/-. Some can reach 5 figures. Shield Nickel patterns are a bit less for the less rare, but can reach over $10k as well.

Edited to add: The coronet types go for about $1500 to $5k.
  • Options
    BTW, I'd also expect IHC and FE patterns early on in the registry.
  • Options
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to do a set of ANYTHING in patterns is a scary proposition!

Mr. Wondercoin who can complete a set of ANYTHING without getting scared will be SCARED just at the prospect of even ATTEMPTING to complete a oattern set!image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Craig: As I mentioned on your other thread on the US Coin Forum - there is nothing more cathartic than shedding just one of your pop 1 Wash quarters to buy a 19th century pattern coin. Try it once and soak in the feeling - breathe deep - you didn't need that Wash quarter slot filled with the pop top anyway - now did you? You'll feel so much better getting hooked on patterns - won't he Rick image

Wondercoin image
  • Options
    Patterns are bliss.image
  • Options
    "Mr. Wondercoin who can complete a set of ANYTHING without getting scared will be SCARED just at the prospect of even ATTEMPTING yo complete a oattern set!"

Oreville - You are so right - did you see the monster color MS68 Wash quarter I just sold MANOFCOINS, which he pictured on the other board? That pop 1/0 beauty had to go because I went on another pattern buying binge this winter. It really ain't pretty, unless you are "Bill Gates", which I can assure you I am certainly not. To folks like myself, often times one thing needs to be sold to pay for another image

Wondercoin

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wondercoin: I saw them....awful.....awful! image

No not the coins....that you had to let go. image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    And I thought this was a new thread.......

Dennis