Options

Merc People, do we want a short set ?

Link to Q&A Forum last night

Let we know your opinions on this.

Walt image

Comments

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You betcha Walt, but the dates need to be 1916 thru 1931. image Then I could get back into the Ball Game.

Actually I like the 1940 thru 1945 idea. it just makes sense to me instead of 1941 thru 1945. From the stand point of collector participation PCGS does need to recognize some sort of a Mercury Dime short set.

Ken
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I have argued for a Mercury short set 1934-1945 for quite a while. I think this is similar to the Walker short set. I know some would like the 40s only, but I really feel 1934 is the line of demarkation.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the 1934 through 1945, but I like Ken's suggestion, too. Maybe we should have two sets.

1916 through 1931
    and
    1934 through 1945

Set the two year gap to split the sets.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    I vote for the 34-45 set.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either wayimage
  • Options
    any short set would be fine
    tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    If you look at the short set holders that have been made for years, they are 41-45?????? Seems like those are the accepted years...I've never seen a holder for the other dates being discussed.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought the 1941-45 short set was a joke. Until you get to the higher grades, they're as common as dirt. Let's keep it somewhat challenging, and go with 1934-1945 for a Registry short set. That should be enough to get more collectors interested in the series, and eventually they may want to go after the 1916-1931 dates.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dittoimage

Marc
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There will be 50 collectors tied for #1.HMMM how about FB only,and MS 67 and above? That would be some sort of challenge.
  • Options
    Short set is ok by me. 34 to 45. I believe that only Registering 1 slab number per registry set. I feel each Registry should have one coin graded per set/ series. This allows more Poor folks to get there name in lights.
  • Options
    I'll TTT this to the top to get more opinions. Also do we want varieties in the set (42/1- 42/1D and the 45 micro s.)
    After we get a few more opinions I'll put up a poll for the years we want and I'll send it to David Hall and see what happens. Actually Im leaning toward the 34-45 set and the varieties really dont matter to me.
    So Merc Folks stand up and be heard. image

Walt image
  • Options
    34-45 is my vote.................with no bands getting a bonus image
  • Options
    I would like to see the 34-45 set.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    41-45 is tough if you want to average 68......
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    34 thru 45, no overdates, or micro. Just make it a fun set....instead of an all out I WILL BE ON TOP SET!~imageimage
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    Nice to hear from you Dennis.image

Walt image
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get the 34 thru 45 Set in the registry and my money says Dennis is back in with us. image

Ken
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    You Merc guys enjoy your short set - there isn't one and probably will NEVER be one for the Rosy Dime series. When PCGS combines the silver + clad sets together, we're talking about a 125 coin series today.....and that's a pretty good sized set....then again, perhaps the 1946-1964 silver set IS a short set! image
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 1934 to 1945 My self. I think that is a challenge and high grade with full bands are rare.

Any short set is better than none
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say Walt gets extra credit for opening a Merc thread that hit 20 posts in 24 hours image

Marc
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis,

It's good to see you back. I hope you're here to stay.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    '34 - '45.

Good to hear from you, Dennis. Hope all's well.

Don

Winged Liberty and
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    Thanks Marc, you know what they say " the squeaky wheel gets the grease". It looks like the 34-45 dates is what we want so far. We need to address the varieties question .In or out ? I will let this thread go for the weekend so everyone can have some input. I dont think a poll is necessary. I will email this thread to David Hall monday morning. Does anyone have his email address ?

Thanks
    Walt
  • Options
    TTT and I have his Email address now, he sent it to me.

Walt image
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    HepDaddyHall....... Give us a short set.............OR ELSE!

The HepKitty has spoken!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Well folks, this thread has been sent to David Hall. We did our part ,now its up to him. Thanks to all that participiated.

Walt image
  • Options
    ttt
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    Well I received a reply from David Hall, They will look at the short sets after the 1st of the year.

Walt image
  • Options
    I vote NOimage
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    I would like a short set, would give me a better chance of actually making a good registry set... if they make a short set, I will definately try to participate, especially since the later dates are a bit cheaper and a bit more suited to my wallet image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards George, have fun and enjoy.

Walt image
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I say we start sending ol HepDaddyHall pictures of MadMarty till he caves in and gives us our short set!!!!!

I have posted something to him in the Q&A, hopefully it will show up this Tues. night......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Yeah, I want a '34-'45 short set... that's the dates I've choosen for myself for my short set...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    No, sorry to say I havent heard a word on it . Its ok with me if you want to email BJ or David and ask them. I think things will start moving now after the fun show and all. The Ol Mad Marty picture trick again huh Now thats Brutal

Walt imageimage
  • Options
    '34 to '45 are the mercs that I am currently working on for my short set, with or without a special registry short set, all in MS66 FB.
  • Options
    ttt
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb