Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

5 more thaler scans

Hello again!

I hope everyone is having a good night. Here are scans of my last five thalers. I had to fuss with the brightness and contrast settings in Photoshop to get the details on the coins to stand out, but the images still look pretty sad compared to seeing the coins in person. (Yes, the 1632 is very pretty!) The 1665 is the only coin I bought already in a holder; all the others I purchased raw and had them graded.

imageimage

imageimage

When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Sweet!! imageimage
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Wow! If I had to choose just on favorite I'd go for the Archduke Leopold (number 2) but they are all really awesome.

Now let me get this straight, you have seven truly wonderful thalers and you still collect liteside coins?image

-JamminJ
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    So when is the PCGS Thaler Set Registry starting?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Dennis, you have some truly wonderful Talers. Thank you for sharing them.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your kind comments, folks.

Picking up thalers every now and then is a LOT of fun, and I'm thinking about trying to do a set that might drive me nuts -- A date set covering the entire 17th century... one from 1600, one from 1601, etc. Where the coins are from wouldn't matter as long as PCGS calls them thalers. And because I like big coins I don't want to include fractional thalers. But the tough part is finding coins with:

-- Original surfaces that PCGS will put into a holder (I like showing my coins to kids and non-coin folks, so holders are a must for me. PCGS is a must just because.)
    -- That haven't been tooled or previously mounted.
    -- That are 45mm or smaller so they can fit into the holder.
    -- That don't have flan cracks (personal preference.)
    -- That aren't more than 1/4" thick (including the roller dies-made "bow effect" so they can fit into the holder.
    -- That aren't stupidly rare so I can afford to buy 100 of the silly things. (City view thalers are neat, for instance, but they tend to be pricey.)
    -- That are in the XF-AU grade range, so the designs can be easily seen and appreciated.
    -- I'd want as big a variety of designs as possible. (The Madonna and child design, or Leo the Hogmouth were made for years, but I don't want 20 or even 10 of those.)

Locating 350-year-old thalers that PCGS will holder is tougher than it sounds, since they aren't exactly as common as Morgan dollars (!!!), but my cautious basic nature has paid off so far. I've sent in seven coins for grading and six have made it.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Does this sound like a set that could actually be done?

-- Dennis
    When in doubt, don't.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great looking coins... I think your game plan reads well and good luck with additions in the future. This is what collecting is all about.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I'd argue that it would be harder to find a 17th century thaler with original surfaces, than it would be to find a 17th century thaler that PCGS will holder. I think they are treated on par with 18th century U.S. silver coinage. An old light cleaning is just par for the course. What the surfaces look like now is what's important.

I think your collection goal is a good idea, image especially if you vary the types and designs and country/state/provinces of origin within the date range (which should be relatively easy for that century). I'd rather have them raw, but that's just personal taste. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Great looking Thalers.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Great plan, Dennis!! Wonderful Thalers, too. I wish you much luck and enjoyment!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Those are really nice coins. Good luck with your collection.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CIVITAS wrote: "I'd argue that it would be harder to find a 17th century thaler with original surfaces, than it would be to find a 17th century thaler that PCGS will holder."

Excellent distinction, and you've got me dead to rights. My bottom line desire, of course, is for PCGS to put them in holders.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buying them raw is the FUN of collecting. Choose the TPG company of your choice and there is no crime in buying a slabbed taler, but I rarely see ones already slabbed that I would want to bring home. Come to think of it, I have only bought Canadian coins that were slabbed...and I don't regret those purchases.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• very neat looking coins.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3