Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1864 farthing variety?

I need some corroboration on this.

I have two "serif" 1864 farthings. I was about to put my lower grade one up for sale and was scoping it when I found that the "8" in the date was very fat relative to the 8s in others I have seen. In addition, the 1 in the date is lightly overstruck. The picture below compares the two. The top one is the "normal" type. The bottom one is the very large 8. Can anyone with a Peck or Freeman tell me if there is a known variety?

Sorry - the picture is the best I can manage. The fat 8 is fatter than the picture suggests.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    I "Pecked" around a bit, couldn't find anything for you. But, I could have missed something. I agree that there is a difference in the 8's.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Tom
    This is the eleventeenth time ---- ask Colin Cooke. For some reason there are loads of varieities which don't seem to matter. For instance on the ext rare 1863 the 3 can be found in all sorts of positions and sizes but no one seems to care. Then if you have a fat 8 in a common 1862 you're rich..

Beats me

Lloyd
  • Options
    Wybrit, thank you for sharing this interesting variety with us. I wish I had your knowledge of British coins.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Then if you have a fat 8 in a common 1862 you're rich...

I do have one of those as well, confirmed by Mr. Cooke. I don't see why they are "rare," though. This eight error is much more pronounced than the 1862 variety.
  • Options
    Tom
    That's the point i'm making - the 1862 needs a trained eye yet it's big bucks. You're 1864 is stark yet we need colon's blessing image

L
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I wish I had your knowledge of British coins.

You're as dumb as a fox, hetman!