Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2004 Spink Catalog

I picked one up today for $35... not a great price, but I thought it was time to join the 21st century. Needless to say, the prices are much higher than in the 1999 edition. The 1797 1d in unc is listed at 950 pounds sterling. I known that the British standard for unc with respect to copper is much different, but that price is up over 500 pounds since 1999!

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    That is one of many shocking changes. This George III type set of mine is getting harder all the time!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well part of the shock is that the 1797 2d unc price is 300 pounds sterling and I always thought that was a tougher coin to get... Lloyd... any thoughts as to the why the 2d is now 650 pounds lower than the 1d? Tell me it can't be all supply and demand...

• Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    The 1797 1d and 2d are two holes I am really glad I have filled.
    Joe
  • Options
    mongoose... I am pleased that I have found pleasing examples of these two. I need to pull out the 1d and check which variety it is.

• Options
    Look

That £300 for the 2d in UNC must be a typo or something - if you get the right coin without the edge knocks and a large degree of lustre you could virtually name your price.

The £950 for the penny is very high but then again.... these are coins that are now almost impossible in perfect unc with lustre. But don't forget that there are a trillion penny collectors all vying for the same coin. The 2d would have to go to either a general collector or a comprehensive copper collector.

ALSO Note that the penny is only £200 in EF and that's the point.

The 2d price is wrong though.....

L
  • Options
    I actually misread the Spink catalog...300 pounds sterling is for an EF 1797 2d example, not UNC. There is no unc price listed...image

Back to George II old head shillings... I always thought 1758 was a common date. I saw two at the Baltimore show. Both examples were quite nice and easily GEF by British standards. The price on one was $350.00... I was alittle surprised. I did find a stunning 1820 1/2 crown (George IV) which has color, lustre, excellent strike... image I was thrilled to buy it.

• Options
    I missed that too image I thought it was strange - you get a really nice one and you can hold out for what you want.

The 1758 is COMMON - it is even MORE COMMON in UNC. It was minted for years after that date.

L
  • Options
    Lloyd - I have always thought that the 1758 Shilling was minted until the 1780s is this correct? Do you have any data on how to tell when a specific example was issued? I have never been able to find anything.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Michael
    I can look around for data but that's a known fact. Like for instance 1700 William III shillings. There was about 100 (?) or 200 (?) found in Mint State in a bank vault. The 1707 shilling in mint state - loads of 'em. The 1787 shilling. They're still worth money but you have to consider this.

Cnut pennies are another... in EF or better. Large hoards found... most as struck or thereabouts.

L
  • Options
    I knew about the "large" hoard of 1700s that was "found" in the 60s or 70s? I did not know about the 1707 hoard.

How long after 1787 where Shillings and 6d of that date issued?

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I'm not sure how long after - to be frank I don't think the museum experts know.... Georgey Boy wasn't into keeping records it seems. Especially since we had to borrow the silver from the Spanish when only a few years previously we were mugging them in the Southern Oceans.

Whatever the details the clue is in the relentless availabilty on Ebay , Dealers Lists etc...

L