Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

value question -- 1625-49 Scotland gold unit (S-5531)

I have a special fondness for Scottish coins (the larger the better) from the late-1500s to early-1600s, but I've never had the guts to buy a gold piece.

Well, I've found one that appeals to me -- a 1625-49 gold unit (S-5531) in an ANACS-45 holder. (It is not a "net" grade, by the way.)

But I have no clue about what to pay for it. Can anybody take a stab at answering these two questions:

1. What is an honest retail value?
2. What is the catalog value?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice/warnings.

-- Cautious Dennis
When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    According to Krause -- which lists a 1625-36 and two types of 1637-42 -- these run, respectively, $1450 and $1650-4000 in VF. I have no idea how accurate these prices are.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would LOVE to own a piece of Scottish gold!

Somebody had a 1601 Sword & Sceptre piece in fairly high grade up for sale, but it was holed. I was sorely tempted to buy it and make it the centerpiece on my Holey Gold Hat, but even holed, it was bloody expensive- too much for my budget at that particular time. Maybe one day there'll be another...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Double post. I knew that would happen. Forums are freezin' up on me.) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.