Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1850 shilling

The rarest of the rare? Link

Mine is not EF. I found it a year ago at the MOON show. Bought it from Chief Coins (dbstrader knows all about him). Anyone have a 2004 Spink price for this one?

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine is not EF. >>

That's OK, neither is dragonbrit's! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I agree with you. It is better than mine but not by much, quite frankly.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    1850 bob, 2004 Spinks:

F = 120 pounds
    VF = 800
    EF = 1500
  • Options
    I'd call yours a gF, or F15 American. His, VF20. 25 at best. Both nice coins.

He's dreamin' if he thinks he's gonna get EF money out of his, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    $3.5K? It reminds me of the (idiotically high) prices of Greek coins; if he had it in unc he could ask whatever he felt like, but not a VF .

edited to regrade image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "There is thus no point in starting this coin at $1 (particularly with the new reserve costs of 1%) due to the very fine margins we have in this item ,so we are starting the coin at our once only asking price of just

UK £1999 (US$3455).

OR

BUY NOW AT UK£2250 (US$3890)" --Dragon**it

So he's doing us a real favor by allowing us to acquire such a rarity.

meLord, perhaps I'm way off in my grading skills, but to me, Wybrit's coin looks like a VF, even by British standards, and you don't think it's even a Fine.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>meLord, perhaps I'm way off in my grading skills, but to me, Wybrit's coin looks like a VF, even by British standards, and you don't think it's even a Fine. >>

Huh? image

My earlier post:

<< <i>I'd call yours a gF, or F15 American. His, VF20. 25 at best. Both nice coins. >>

F15 is not only Fine, but choice Fine, or "good Fine" British, as I mentioned. Wybrit's coin is certainly close to VF. I would call D.B.'s coin VF, but certainly not EF!

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    D'ohhhh!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

• Options
    I sold one of these on Ebay in the last two months. Fine £395 (book value is £120). It was a buy it now. If you're going to pay a fortune for a high grade one, make sure it's a high grade one.

I recently got rid of three that I was hoarding because they have started to appear on the market. I don't know if someone has been releasing a stash.

The only one left in my collection is the 1850/49 which is still the only example this dog's seen.

Let's not pretend - If anyone buys that coin off Ebay they need thrashing. The obverse has problems but the scans are too small to identify them. If you mail him to ask he will say there's nothing there, just toning.

Book vals 2004 : FINE £120, VF £800, EF £1500 UNC=NO VAL

A few in GEF AU and UNC recently appeared and were sold predictably in the £2000 - £3000 range.

I had another AVF one on Ebay a while back for £800 - nice too with the 5 double struck. But someone bought it after the auction for a lower amount.

L
  • Options
    Thanks folks.

I bought mine graded VF but I call it aVF. The price was so good I would have been foolish to argue with the seller - plus he discounted it so much that I got another Victorian shilling in UNC thrown in for free. The first and second young head portraits (1838-1839 and 1839-1867) are very high relief so they tend to get overgraded. The same design for a different date is shown for comparison - see next post.

• Options
    (Edited last post to put picture here so above text is readable)
  • Options
    Geesssssssss... that's a great coin. Maybe I should move to Minnesota if you find such nice coins there......image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Newbie - that seller dumped all his remaining nice British coins early this year at FUNimage. I'm glad I hit him up when I did. He had some really great stuff and it was very affordable.
  • Options
    image,,,,,,,,,,, I don't get to go to those "things"..... but it looks like you did great.........image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com