Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

just wanted to share... 1628 thaler image

Hello everyone!

Morgan dollar collecting is my main coin affliction, but when the bickering and BS over on the "liteside" message board get to me I like to sneak over here and evesdrop on the niceness and camraderie that goes on.

Anyway, I recall there were recently some posts where folks shared an image or two of a favorite old crown. I have about a half-dozen 17th century thalers in PCGS holders, but I suppose this one is my favorite because of ALL the detail it has. Sorry I couldn't post a larger image, but that 50K limit PCGS imposes makes it tough.

-- Dennis

When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Hi DennisH,

I also have one but yours is much nicer than mine:

Thanks for sharing, I'd love to see some of your other thalers!

-JamminJ
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny, I think I just saw one of the same type on the CNG site, or somewhere like that.

VERY nice coins, both of you! image

Here's one I just bought from Don.

Now I have two, both Saxony, both EF (the first is a 1552 in an ANACS holder).

Thalers could definitely become habit-forming.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JamminJ:

That is too neat; we have the same coin! Thanks for sharing it.

I'll try to post scans of a couple of my other thalers on Friday.

-- Dennis
    When in doubt, don't.
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Awe, come on, Dennis -- you've always known you're welcome here, so off with the excuses. image That is indeed a fantastic Salzburg Cathedral Thaler!!
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again to everyone for the kind comments. I thought I'd post a couple more photos before heading off to bed.

The 1618 is a very pretty coin, and the 1658 is one of those "good news, bad news coins": I never thought I'd own a mint state 17th century thaler (the lustre on this one FAR exceeds what I was able to capture in the scan), and I'm thrilled to have this one.

But when I bought it (already in the NGC holder) and tried to cross it at PCGS, they told me it was about one millimeter too big to fit in the holder. Also, I've since learned that it is a Hungarian coin instead of Austrian, and it was actually a restrike done a century later (???). If anyone knows more about this, I'd be pleased to learn about it!

-- Dennis

When in doubt, don't.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lookie

I knew I'd seen one tonight, even before y'all posted your two.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your nice coins, Dennis!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Very nice Dennis, welcome to the darkside..........
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)