Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Which Krause or other book do I want

I'm a little confused as to which book to get for identifying and pricing world coins. There is "Catalog of World Coins" and "Collecting World Coins." The first one seems to cost about twice as much. What are the differences? Do they both include coin prices? Are there other books besides Krause that I should be looking for?

I want the best option, but I want to pay as little as possible, as it has to come out of this month's already suffering coin budget.

Thanks for any assistance you can give to help clear up my confusion.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cheaper, "Collecting World Coins" volume only covers circulating issues, I believe- not commemoratives and stuff like that. It's probably OK if you're just starting out, but if you can afford the full volume, I would get that instead.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PS- note that the Krause catalogs are divided by century. The "Collecting World Coins" edition is 1901 to the present, just as the "full" Krause edition is, but there are also 17th, 18th, and 19th century editions that cover those respective dates. So it's really up to you on what era and type of coin you wish to collect. For general coverage, the 20th century full volume is probably the best. But the "Collecting World Coins" volume is still pretty respectable, with thousands upon thousands of listings.

Once you decide on a specialty (if you do, and nothing says you have to), then you will know more about what specialized books to buy. (For example, all the Brit coin folks use the Spink catalog.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Ok thanks LM. Since most of what I already have is after 1901, I'm gonna have to start with the 20th century one, which is gonna set me back about $51 if I go with the "Catalog" one. More than I wanted to spend but, what can you do.
  • Options
    One option though would be to get one on ebay that's a couple years old I guess.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go on eBay and get one. DO NOT pay $51 for a new Krause. Get a 29th edition (2002 Standard Catalog of World Coins). They are alot cheaper and as good as a later edition (I use the 29th all the time). Coin values do not change very much at all.

click here for eBay Krause

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Thanks for the link ajaan! Looks like some good snipe potential there.
  • Options
    1957joe1957joe Posts: 608 ✭✭
    My local dealer has last years addition waiting for me at his store for about 1/2 the price of the newest one.
    That is good enough for me!
  • Options
    If you mean by last year's, the 2003 30th edition, then it's only a deal if it's free. Unless you're desperate for one.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options

<< <i>If you mean by last year's, the 2003 30th edition, then it's only a deal if it's free. Unless you're desperate for one. >>

imageimageimageimageimage
    Roy

• Options
    What they're sayin' is that you should avoid the 2003 and later editions, 'cause apparently they changed the format, and screwed it all up- NOT an improvement, from what I've heard!

I'm glad I did my last update in 2002!

If you get one before (what was it, 1996?), most prices won't be that far off, I wouldn't think- and you get coverage from 1801-up; two centuries in one volume. Plus, the older catalogs will be cheaper- a lot cheaper. Much more bang for the buck.

I just sold an extra '93 edition I had.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the 2004 edition follow the 2003 format? If not, it might be time for me to update and sell my 2002.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>Does the 2004 edition follow the 2003 format? >>

It does, but the format itslef isn't the problem - in converting the data base a huge number of errors were created. There are missing coins, there are misdescribed coins, there is incorrect additional information, etc. image

I don't know enough about the other 2,300+/- pages, but in the 9-page Japanese image section the 2004 corrected about 80% of the errors in the #%$#@30th Edition .image, and introduced almost a half-dozen new onesimage.

Maybe image the 2005 will be worth investing in image.
    Roy

• Options

<< <i>What they're sayin' is that you should avoid the 2003 and later editions, 'cause apparently they changed the format, and screwed it all up- NOT an improvement, from what I've heard!

I'm glad I did my last update in 2002!

If you get one before (what was it, 1996?), most prices won't be that far off, I wouldn't think- and you get coverage from 1801-up; two centuries in one volume. Plus, the older catalogs will be cheaper- a lot cheaper. Much more bang for the buck.

I just sold an extra '93 edition I had. >>

I am really glad you posted that because I didn't have any idea what they were talking about and I could've well ended up with the 2003 edition. The link ajaan posted of course is a 2002. But if I don't win that or I win a different one, I would be mighty disappointed to get one that is screwed up. So I will definitely look for the 2002 or before.
  • Options
    Just to update, I snagged this one this one. image I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the shipping is reasonable.