Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Blank Ike planchets Type 1 & 2

I am no ike error person, but I have located some of these blank ikes in a chest. I wanted to know what is the difference between the type I & type II ike blank planchets? Do the type 1 or 2 have any reeding, raised rims or??? Do they weigh the same as the copper nickel clad or is it possible for them to be on silver blanks?? Thanks for any information you provide.

Comments

  • Options
    Type 1 are just flat discs. Type 2 have been through the upset mill and the rims will be gently raised. Neither have reeding, that's imparted during the strike.

    They could be copper-nickel or silver-clad. You should be able to tell pretty easily by looking at the edge.

    By the way, I don't know where you got yours, but they are also readily counterfeited... at least once, anyway, I bought one. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file