Home U.S. Coin Forum

CC Morgan experts, tell me what you think

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
of this 93-CC...very weak strike, how much does it reduce the price/demand, desire, etc, if you were in the market for one, what's the max will you go in this, or will you pass?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2207047770&category=39465&rd=1

Comments

• Will have to wait until someone posts a link. Once saw a whole BU bag in Great Falls.
    All PL with very flat strikes. It will lower the price, but till I see the coin can't say
    how much.
    Rusty
  • Bill
  • I too, am keeping a watchful eye on this item. I'd go $2600, maybe $2700...I don't like the EAR...What is it? The strike?
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Poor Miss Liberty looks like she was in a fist fight.
    Bill
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it's probably weak over the ear. Also if my hunch is right.... if it was scanned, it might also be some flash over the ear. I always get this when I scan Morgan's. There are ways to not get it though.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • I looked up this date and mintmark in my The Comprehensive U.S. Silver Dollar Encyclopedia. Here is what John Highfill had to say:

"Many Uncs. are flat strikes; some have no wing feather details, only mint lustre...The Carson City Mint usually had the best dollars struck throughout its history, but in its final year put out one of the worst Morgans."

Strike: Soft & Weak
    Luster: Very Good
    Bag Marks: Moderate to Heavy

I would say this particular one fits the above description fairly well. The strike is soft and weak, the luster is very good, and the bag marks are moderate (thus the grade). I think PCGS dropped the grade a bit (from MS63 to MS62) due to the soft and weak strike. Overall, I think this one is probably a bit better than average for an MS62, and would be worth a strong bid.

Updated to Add: I just checked PCGS' price on this one. The current bid is already over the $2000 price stated by PCGS by a whopping $325. I don't think she's worth more than $2600 tops, IMHO. Good luck.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dollardude -

Thanks for the info. and your analysis. I too like the coin especially the luster, and minimal marks for the grade. I'm sure sure how high I'd go on it though. Any thoughts?

Just read your update.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file