Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

im going back to my natural calling

well it seems here like everything ive worked hard and dear for has endedup being either fake, cleaned or damaged. the 1914d i was so proud of i found out was a 250 $ lie. i think im just gonna go back to my video games where i know the feild and know im sucessful. i think this also might have killed my fun searching for coins in the change since it will never add up to anything, its been fun talking to you all. i must say youve all been nice to talk to .
<poof>
Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Comments

• Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you. If you stick with something, you get better at it with time. Best wishes in your future endeavors.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    Better Idea would be to stick around, learn all you can, then start with an easy collection.

Bulldog
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    It will take time to learn but it will be worth the wait. In the mean time stick to PCGS/NGC/ANACS coins. mike image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    well, one important lesson you,ve learned and its probably the most important lesson, is that sellers
    that try to rip you off are around every corner.
    in this hobbie knowledge is power. the more you know the better chance you have of not getting ripped.
    i agree to stick around here and soak up all this `free` and extremely valuable info you can get here.

live and learn dude.
    learn more and live better.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why I'm giving a reply here, but I do try and help once in a while. I will be as nice as I can while being very blunt and honest.

We all get frustrated from time to time on here and everywhere else. You seem to be upset you might have got burned a few times. Take it as an education and learn from it. Not sure if you've done this on here... but I see many ask opinions here that don't have experience in grading, detecting AT, or cleaned coins. Many knowledgeable folks take the time and give their opinion that it's probably a bad coin. When in turn the person asking the opinion thinks it's such a good deal they buy it anyway.

I guess I'm trying to say there are many people here willing to help, but they sometimes get frustrated just like you when the person goes and gets ripped off anyway. As far as checking your change and it not amounting to anything? Probably not, but you never know. Too many people think of coin collecting as they are big investors and should be looking at it as a hobby.

Until you're good at what you like doing in coin collecting and even after, find a good dealer to work with and buy some nice decent coins. No they won't be ebay prices or cheap, but they probably will be better quality and quality is where it's at IMO. Good luck.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    im out $2000.00 +. im only 20 i cant go around learning like this. i need money for other things. i was hoping that this would be asomethign i can get into and if i needed to help me get a house. apparently at this rate if i stay i cant afford a cardboard box. no i cant do that. my money is too valueable. i had 3000$ put 2000$ in coins for down the road and i only have the 1000$ to show , yes the 1000$ i didnt put in coins.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    If all of us that have been burned along the line would quit, there would be nobody around here to talk to....Ken
  • Options
    I hate to hear such stories as this, but it is a fact of life and things like this happen every day.

I really hope you will stay with us and with coin collecting. You have already learned a great deal even though it was the hard way. If you stick with it, you will become better and wiser from this experience.

I have gooten very upset and wanted to quit this hobby a few times myself, but in the process I have met some very good peopleimage who have given me a helping hand and and kept the hobby fun.

Jay
  • Options
    Found out, after a year of buying "Gem Brilliant Uncirculated" coins from a big
    east coast dealer, that I'd been royally ripped. Most were cleaned and none were
    uncirculated.
    The revelation nearly soured me to coin collecting.
    After licking my wounds ,I decided to educate myself and joined this forum.
    At present I buy only graded coins.
    Eventually, I will become good enough to judge a raw coin myself.

Sorry you're going through the school of hard knocks.
    I can only suggest that you hang in and learn as much as possible
    before paying good money for a nice coin.
    When you recognize a real bargain and can add it to your collection,
    it's a great feeling !

Skipper
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    thats a very expensive lesson to be learned.......dont feel too bad, your not alone and it gets better.

tom
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    With all their hickies and warts, here is a good example of the benefit that the reputable grading services (PCGS, NGC, ANACS) have done for coin collecting.

This is also an example of how new collectors will feel if in a couple of years, if the coins that are hyped today become worth a fraction of what they paid. This is the danger to the hobby that many of us worry about from over-hyped sectors.

Don't quit the hobby. Spend a lot of time looking at coins in PCGS/NGC/ANACS holders and learn to grade. You'll reap the rewards of this effort for a lifetime.
    Go well.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    My first call is vocal group harmony.... and Rockabilly... I never left those....... Be Bop A Lula!!!

Course, I was buying coins at the age of 8.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Don't give up Atarain! You're getting through the toughest part of the hobby right now... LEARNING! Just take a step back and continue to learn before you make another purchase. I'm sure you'll find this to be a rewarding hobby in many ways...
  • Options
    I read the first couple of posts, and I just skipped through the rest.

Well here is my thought on this.

I'm 20, and I triple your debt, but then again my assets outweigh the debt, so it's not bad. I go to school and work hard. My most expensive coin is only $12, and I got it for $4 at a coin show, this weekend. I look at coins constantly. I have been very consistent on grading. I never look at the grade; I grade it myself then look, and so far I'm doing great. I wasn't willing to spend more than $2 on a coin until I knew everything about the set I want because I'm not made of money. Now I'm ready to buy key dates because I'm pretty confident in my grading skills, and cleaning-detecting skills.

I got ripped off maybe once or twice so far, but that only accumulated to a loss of like $1. I try to bargain and make good relationships, so that dealers will have a hard time selling me the "bad" stuff. My dealer told me not to buy his coins, and go to the show first because I could find deals.

Well the bottom line is...

You came in this hobby too fast, and hoping big gains, which is what most greedy people do, and expect.

PS. I guess I'm sorry for lost.
    I collect Canadian coins! Almost done completing me 1900-2000 Set of Cents! What shall I do next?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    You're getting some nice offers here. Take someone up on it. You may be able to get some money back. Don't give up too soon. Collecting doesn't have to be expensive.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    When I decided to get into coin collecting it was not a profit I was looking for. I always thought that the art work and detail of coins were wonderful. But I do not plan to get soaked in the process. I have started with modern coins of low cost. I am learning to grade slowly thanks to Photograde, PCGS, NGC and the folks of this forum. (Keep posting those pics folks, I got a whole hard drive to fill). I will most likely make my first major purchase of a graded coin. Mostly because it is safer. Just what I have learned. I will buy raw coins from someone I have know for a long time. Since I just got started, it me take awhile. I am 43 and just started, if you are 20, give yourself a break and enjoy the art. Knowlege will come

Dave
    In Laurel
    MD
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

Just a fist full of Dollars
  • Options

<< <i>You're getting some nice offers here. Take someone up on it. You may be able to get some money back. Don't give up too soon. Collecting doesn't have to be expensive. >>

Dittos to this, especially the one from Laura Sperber at Legend. (Take her up on it!) It took me a long, long, time to put $2,000 into my collection, and it wasn't EVER with the intent of making fast or even slow money off of my "investment". I have been burned too, mostly buying raw from eBay in the start, but NO education is cheap is it? This is a great and rewarding hobby, where knowledge, (however acquired) is power. Best of luck in all your future endeavors, and have a blessed holiday season!
    Joe
  • Options
    I concur with the sentiments posted here. Atarian, coins are NOT the place to save for a house. You should only consider high risk investments AFTER you have done the basics FIRST. By the basics, here is what I mean:

1. $1,000 CASH IN THE BANK as a beginner emergency fund
    2. DEBT FREE except the house, i.e., NO car payments, NO credit card bills, etc.
    3. 3-6 months of expenses as CASH IN THE BANK to finish the emergency fund ($10,000 is a reasonable goal)
    4. Invest 15% for retirement (matching 401k/403b FIRST, then Roth IRA, then non-matching 401k/403b)
    5. Invest for kids' college (if you have kids)
    6. Pay off the house early (if you have a house)
    7. Save and GIVE like you never have before

ONLY AFTER you have done these basics should you even consider high risk investments like coins and precious metals. If you want to SAVE for a house, you should do it in a money market account that pays about 1% interest. "Saving" is building up money for use under 5 years. "Investing" is for building wealth, and is 5 years or more. You need to "save" for a house in a low risk investment like a money market account.

After you have completed step 3 above, THEN ABOVE AND BEYOND THIS $10,000 EMERGENCY FUND, you should SAVE for a house. I hope this helps. Best wishes to you.

Let me add that I own several houses, and have done everything SLOWLY over time. You should save a 20% down payment ABOVE AND BEYOND your $10,000 emergency fund. Your monthly house payment should be about 1/4 of your monthly take-home pay for a 15-YEAR FIXED RATE CONFORMING MORTGAGE. DO NOT GET A 30-YEAR MORTGAGE OR AN ARM OR A BALLOON PAYMENT!!!!!
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Same thoughts here re: the money. If you come into coins thinking it's a get rich quick thing, you're here for the wrong reasons...it's not. Coin collecting is a good way to get in touch with the past, learn some history, find some curious odd coins, have fun, and take your time putting a set of something together. It's not a place to jump into with both feet, make a bunch of cash, then sit back and enjoy it. It takes hard work, diligence, patience, and more patience.

I have been collecting for a grand total of 22 years now, and I have yet to buy a SINGLE $100 coin. I also have yet to buy a slab or a piece of gold. I enjoy what I do, and don't need to get rich from it. My enrichment comes from learning a few things I can pass along to others, and enjoy myself along the way. If you don't love coins for coins, then deal in stocks.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    Better Idea would be to stick around, learn all you can, then start with an easy collection

I couldn't agree more with the bulldog...image It was a co$tly lesson! I've had MANY. Keep truckin'!
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Atarian, I doubt there is anything anyone can say that would take the sting out of your experience with the hobby. Unfortunately, for every seasoned collector on these boards there are probably a hundred guys like you who were burned...many who do not even realize it yet...until they get ready to sell or upgrade.

You are young and have a lot more mistakes to make. A lot of us would like to trade places with you. Trust me on this, being old and making mistakes gets a lot more expensive.

Best wishes.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    It is a shame that purchasing coins is such a challenging task. There are so many that look for a mark to take to the cleaners. I really appreciate Laura's expressed concern which I take at face value and her implied suggestions for possible recovery of loss.
    There are many lessons to learn in life and even a higher percentage in the coin trade. I was reviewing my early purchases this afternoon and was reminded of a handful of 19th century raw coins purchased from major auction houses ( Heritage and Bowers) that were bought from catalogue photos as high Pop MS and proof "66" that were submitted to PCGS and returned at two grade lower 64s. That was an expensive lesson that sent me to Colorado Springs for two years of advanced grading school and hours spent at auctions evaluating slabbed coins. The money lost will not be recovered but I was determined to learn through the frustration and expense which made me a more capable collector.
    The field will be better off when dealers and collectors will not pass off incorrectly graded and damaged coins to unsuspecting inexperienced buyers. We need to be responsible for our own actions.
    Trime
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First I would say this... dont give up on the hobby... Educate yourself and immerse yourself in the coins...

Second.... Dollardude has it right.... His financial advice was sound...

John
  • Options
    also with you i am not showing you all my cards.
    i have a house things set for me.
    i got 1 car getting a new one in the spring. most everything i have to worry abotu is nonexistant.
    cell phone
    aol bill
    and 100 in my account are my gaols and paying dad off. thats abotu all here.
    and still i slammed witha loss
    plsu i hear both its a fake and its a low grade so it can be either or on the 1914d
    loos normal but eay low graded

like you all showed my 1883 no cents was cleaned.
    my ike looks bad
    its like i cant catch a break
    big question if that otehr 1914d that you all call vf came back in a ef40+ house from pcgs would it be worth my 385?u tell me

the only thing you havent made bad abotu is my 1885 lib cause i havent brought it up
  • Options
    im gonna think long an dhard about coins and if its right for me. someone offered to help me get my money back . i dont think i coudl get my money back its been months. its all hear say now. they can claim its a diffrerent coin outof their old holder and placed in a new one. right there its reasonable cause. any ides. and ifit ever comesback real and the lower grade it can also be explained teh same way. it wasnt our coin. then what? even if i bring up the 1883 no cents. how do i deal with that.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding in my thoughts (many have given you some of the same sound advice):

You are young...if you have costs coming up, then learn the coins but don't buy them. Coins are seldom good as short term investments (or even long term). Buy bullion if you need small investment, but even that isn't guaranteed.

If you wanted to stay in the hobby, then don't buy for awhile (I know that is hard)....read/learn. This forum, rec.coins.collection, magazines, coins shows, etc.
    Buy some slabbed items so you at least know they are authentic. Some don't like slabs. Some people are so stuck on themselves and how great their grading prowess is that they don't need slabs and so they fiercely downplay them. In truth, they may be great graders and always right, but, their being so good doesn't help me, so I will buy slabbed coins. I also buy raw from a couple dealers at coin shows and from members here. I always ask them their grade and then I compare to what I think so I can learn (and, if I can, I add in a slabbed one in the series to compare to as well).

It is an "always learning" hobby.

So, do what you need to. If the people who sold you the possible fakes/cleaned coins misrepresented them, and you can name names, then do so...otherwise, someone after you will get screwed too....just saying, as some do, " a national dealer who is on the east coast and advertises in the xxxx" doesn't help much. Not everyone is going to PM. And, as long as you are just stating fakes, you should be safe. Saying "I bought a 1916-d merc from XYZ that was advertised UNC but was identified as fake/cleaned by GRADING SERVICE or local dealers" is ok to say I do believe.

I believe I have paid a bit too much on some coins, and I may even have a cleaned one or two (not totally sure yet....it is a close call actually), but if I find that someone is consistently doing this and/or really ripping on me/others, I will certainly speak up. If it is a closecall (I pay MS63 money and it is MS62 or even MS61, then, it may be close and that was debateable).

Whichever your decision, good luck.

Ron

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I returned a coin one time two years after I bought it and it was not in the original holder. mike
  • Options
    Coin collecting is a great hobby, but to should not be considered a fast way to make a profit. If you buy a set of 4 Red Books for the last 20 years, one for every five years you will see that coin prices have large swings up and down. Most new collectors think this is a fixed market. If you can buy something on Ebay at half of Grey sheet you can rush right out to your local dealer and double your money. This is incorrect! 95% percent of the dealers in the U.S. are barely making a living doing this, and the other 5% are selling high dollar rarities to wealthy people. Even if you bought thousands of dollars in PCGS slabbed coins at a great price that does not mean you can go sell them at a large profit tomorrow. Modern issues are worse, there are so many millions of them when it comes to selling, the prices are half of most quoted prices. Every collector should collect as a hobby and forget about the investment part, on the other hand a young man might spend his money on a coin collection and in 20 years or so that collection might be worth more than he paid. I can all most guarantee you that 20-year-old video games will be worth NOTHING!
  • Options
    Not much more that I can personnally add to what others have said for advice. I`m sorry it happened and it`s tough at that age ( for most people for that matter ) to have a hit like that. If you want to talk to Legend, she`ll do what she says she will do and I trust her that she will treat you good and do as much as she can to help. I know it`s a difficult lesson to learn and one that most of us, if we honestly admit it, have learned in one way or another and not always in terms of coin collecting. I hope that you may consider coming back, sooner or later, to the hobby.

Here`s one place, as well as other places that other members may suggest, is a good place to go for " raw " coins if you decide to come back to the hobby.

http://www.rare-coins.com/
  • Options
    I hate to see any collector leave a hobby based on bad experiences while they are learning. I feel specially bad about this one, for you like the series that I do, Liberty Nickels.

Based on the posts that you have made, I get the feeling that one of the big reasons you got into coins was the possibility of profits in the future. That's not an unreasonable hope, no one who collects wants to see thier collection as a loss if they were to sell. So I understand your pain. But was this the only reason you came to coins?

Were there any other reasons that you chose coins as a hobby to explore?

Do you enjoy the coins as art? Do you like the idea of finishing a series? Do you like learning about a series? What else besides value draws you to the coins?

I remember your 1885, and it was a nice example of the date and grade, and you paid a fair price for it over all. You shouldn't feel bad about it. It may well form the core of a nice Liberty Nickel set for you. If you choose to work in lower grades, you can add coins to such a set at little expense, and at very low risk over all, learning to grade the series on the more inexpensive coins from the 1900's part of the series. As you learn, you can slowly upgrade if you like. The lessons you learn on the Nickels will carry over to other series in the future. You'll come to be able to tell cleaning has happened, what sort of toning has not been messed with, and so on. I takes time. You invest your time in education, it pays off in not being taken.

Before I started my Liberty Nickel set (which I planed to do in very high grade) I bought a 'Bag of Liberty Nickels' from an ad in the back of one of coin magazines at the time. There had to be a about 100 of them in it, and they were all G to F in condition, they tossed in a AU common date one also. Though none of the coins were what I was going to collect condition wise, I was able to examine the series and get a feel for how the pattern wore, and what a cleaned one would look like. How did I know one was cleaned? I cleaned it myself. I used several sorts of polish, and such to do it. That G-4 '06 Nickel taught me so much. I had a lot of fun to boot.

I hope that you take some time to step back, regroup, and come back to the hobby with new eyes, and a plan. There are a lot of people here on the forum who will help you in an instant if you ask them a question about a coin. If it's bad they will tell you. They will point you to dealers that will not sell you bad coins. They will help.

My only advice is that you get a handle on what you want from the hobby. It will then be much simpler to get it without so much pain. :-)

And just to make you feel good. Here is an 1885 Nickel that is beign auctioned right now on Teletrade. Note the grade and current price. You should be very happy!

Myriads
  • Options
    The best thing you can do right now is to re-read this thread about five times and take the advice that has been given to you. , furthermore, only buy PCGS/NGC coins from now on until you learn how to grade.
    Do not spend more than $30/coin. You can buy great slabs for that price.

ie. 1881S Morgan PCGS/NGC-63
    ie. 1943D Merc. PCGS/NGC-66

etc
    etc.

The mistake you made was to purchase expensive raw coins before learning how to grade, now you need to do the following to correct those mistakes.

1. Join the ANA. Read the Numismatist every month.
    2. Subscribe to Coin World. Read it every week.
    3. Go to shows. Look at slabs. Buy inexpensive slabs and use the ones you own and the ones you look at to learn how to grade and what natural coins look like.
    4. Purchase three net graded ANACS coins that have been cleaned. Different denominations and use then as examples of what cleaned coins look like.

Again, take this advice before you give up. This is a wonderful hobby and now you need to take the initiative and apply the advice you've been given.

Good luck!
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Sorry to hear of your pain and potential loss, but ... numismatics, financially, should be lumped into the same adage as gambling: Don't spend any money you can't afford to lose. Coins should be "mad" or "play" money -- some extra you have left after the bills are paid and sound investments made -- not purchased for such an important goal as a house. And, ultimately, those who tend to do the best financially with their coins are the true numismatists, those who collect for the love of the hobby and to whom profits are are a far-distant-second consideration. It will cost more to obtain the better coins up front, but in the long run, they are best for both your collecting goals and when you go to sell some day. Sure, there are coins to be cherrypicked, but in the main, it pays to invest in quality.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Purchase three net graded ANACS coins that have been cleaned. Different denominations and use then as examples of what cleaned coins look like >>

Now this is great advice for anyone in the hobby. I bought one just to study. Many or most Bust halves have been cleaned at one time. I bought this one even though I knew the look of them. I always just walk right by coins like this, so I thought it would be a good idea just to have one.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    better yet- just clean some of your coins you get in change and this will help too. Try several different methods. mike
  • Options
    atarian---ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS advice given here. I can only add YOU should rethink your options. Don't make rash decisions caused by frustration. DEAL with the people whom burned you (rationally) Try to make your losses into gains by confronting and exposing the frauds. YES a lesson learned, but its only money, WAY more to life. I wish you good fortune my friend. I SEE the GOOD in all the PEOPLE here, and thats money in the bank, IMO.
    Its a foul ball by a fair margin.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line is that we all hate to see you go. If a coin is fake most reputable dealers will
    accept it in return forever whether it's in the holder or not.

I always advise newbies to start small and get a feel for the hobby and the market. Then
    they should sell a coin from time to time because this is where you really learn about the market.

There's no need to give up entirely even if it comes to pass that you have lost all this money.
    There are ways to collect that risks very tiny sums and it will keep you involved until you gain the
    knowledge and confidence to spend more money. Whatever you decide I hope you have the best
    of luck.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file