Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your thoughts on this "rainbow" toned Buffalo Nickel

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2205775405&category=11954

Okay, its raw and toned. Bid is just around MS64 Greysheet. Is it real? Is it MS?

morris <><

I think the coin is pretty, but ???
"Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
TEMECULA, CA 92590
(951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com

Comments

• Options
    No picture.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    ebay seller grading services

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I think the toning looks legit. I have no idea if it's MS, though. I couldn't grade Buffalo nickels if my life depended on it. They baffle me.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that last night... my thoughts:

1- Gash in the Indian's head... drop the grade a few points
    2- Not a super-strong strike, but it does look uncirculated
    3- NO luster at all- likely cleaned
    4- Toning does look legit
    5- Coin looks corroded- possibly from a cleaning agent(?)
    6- Look at his feedback

My reasoning on the cleaning... I got a coin somewhat like that (very cheap) at Baltimore... showed the guys at ANACS, and they immediately said it was cleaned...

I think calling this even MS64 is pushing it... if it weren't cleaned, maybe 63. If it were, net AU.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    a 63/64, stay away for that money; specially raw and sight unseen

t
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    MS69??? But very nice toning in my opinion. MS65 is my guess.
  • Options
    I wouldn't pay hundreds of $$ for a raw Buffalo nickel from a guy with spotty feedback who can't even spell nickel.

I wouldn't count count on that coin being MS, either, as there appears to be some rub on the hip. Technicly(sic) MS69 my foot.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Coin is AU. Look at the hip bone on the reverse. No luster is also a sign of circulation if not a cleaning.

The sellers discription of this coin is laughable as well as the winning bid. I wouldn't pay $10 for it.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I say the toning is good on the coin. I also think the coin is unc. Won't grade higher than ms/63 due to the very weak reverse strike (head and tail). The obverse has a decent strike, and these get that lackluster look due to the heavy toning. I would imagine when first struck, it wasn't a "bright" and "shiny" example to begin with.
    With all that said, I wouldn't bid on a coin like that without seeing it in hand first. My grading opinion could change drastically. If I were forced into bidding on this one, $75 would do it.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Yep - hip shows rub, definitely AU, probably cleaned. A $10 coin - someone is going to get screwed once again.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    I've never seen toning like that on a Buffalo.
    Does that really happen "naturally" ?

Skipper
  • Options
    what are your thoughts on the seller? they sure have alot of "questionable" coins
  • Options
    Cleaned. I'm sorry but Buffalos don't tone that way.
  • Options
    AU55. Cleaned. Un natural toning.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd vote for MS62 or 63. But the toning looks "funny" to me. It will come home in a bag.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    67 like the seller says? No way! It's too ticky. It looks like some old rub on the braid and on the buff's shoulder, as far as MS goes. As far as the color I'd say it was real. The only reason I say that is because a toned Morgan guy that you all hold in the highest regards sold me one that looks just like it.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Grade: AU something.

19-P's are relatively sharply struck (not like the D's that look worn right off the dies) and this coin has wear on the Buff's head, shoulder and tail - coin was probably cleaned at some time and possibly it's AT to hide the fact that as a cleaned AU coin the luster is now gone.(but it might have been cleaned and actually toned like that if it was in an album for 10 years, but I doubt it - too expensive for a dealer to buy an AU coin and put it away for 10 years). The real give away is the wear and the lack of luster - (but if in real time it's really got blasty luster beneath the "toning' then it could be a poorly struck UNC - but I doubt it, as if it was really lusterous, it would be graded already - its waiting for someone to buy it to be sent in and BB's (or at best graded AU).

BTW - Buffs are one of the hardest series to grade - Unc ones look AU & AU coins that are sharply stuck are often sold raw as Uncs - so this is not an unusual offering for a Buff. Also, its virtually impossible to grade coins based on scans - so this opinion is just an educated guess from the apparent wear on the coin - the ONLY way you can distinguish circulation wear and weakly struck Buffs is to see the coin "in the flesh" and examine it carefully with a good light & a 5-7x lens.
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have holdered Buffalos with similar toning color, though not quite as dark. that could be a factor of the picture. while the coin looks struck well enough and not overly marked, it shows signs of rub/wear, or at least what i interpret as such in the picture. on the hip in front of the tail and atop the head, the shoulder and above the hair knot and at the top of the head..............

the strike at the rims doesn't match the softness of the detail throughout the coin.

AU55 with natural tone.

al h.image
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coin is AU. Look at the hip bone on the reverse >>

Yup...you got it. It's also AT.

jom
  • Options
    The seller can't grade.

• Options
    Somebody got screwed on that deal - a weak strike with definite signs of rub on both obverse and reverse - and the seller has been moving questionable stuff for quite a while...

Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file