Home U.S. Coin Forum

Yet another Digital Camera Question

It's now a toss up with me between an Olympus C-5050 and a Nikon Coolpix 5700.

Of these two, which would you choose?
"DragonAzz doesn't strike me as a nutcase." clw54 06/18/06

The good thing about having multiple personalities is that there's always a designated driver.

Yes, I'm an agent of Satan but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Comments

• C5050 that's the one I am getting from Santaimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I'll cast a vote for the Coolpix.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    The 5700's a great camera but I've been disappointed with it for coin imaging. The 8x zoom feature and the different lens it seems to have from earlier Nikons has made lighting & accurate color tough on some of my copper. Great resolution though. I need to take it out and give it one more trial before reselling it. Maybe some others here have had better results.
  • I was just out shopping for an Olympus, but I would pass on the 5050 and stay with the 4000 if you can find one. They are much cheaper and have the same Supermacro feature that the 5050 has. Go to olympus.com and you can do a side by side comparison.

OfficeMax had them for sale for $389.00, my store was out of them though.

Hope that helps,
    Michael
  • I have been using a Olympus c-3000 for about 2 years and have been happy except the macro does not get close enough. I bought a $40 macro lens and it does pretty well. I would think all the matters on a digital camera is at least 3.0 megapixels and a macro lens that gets within 2 inches. Aside from the 2 previous things they all pretty much can take good pics.
  • TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Do both have macro ability and what are the prices of both cameras?
    Are they both small and usable for other purposes ?
    What are the storage capacities?
    Trime
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    You might want to look at the nikon 5400. It's a similar camera without the long lens that you really don't need for macro.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file