Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ancient coin in bulk

where is the best place to purchase bulk uncleaned ancient coins?
Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Ebay actually. Avoid at all costs the hype/scam artists that say !!!!!!GOLD FOUND!!!!!!!!! because it's just lies and deception.

Scott Uhrick has a webpage that ranks sellers of uncleaned coins on eBay.

http://www.joviel.com/main_frame.html
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank you
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Great site Civitas! Thanks alot!
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options

<< <i>Great site Civitas! >>

Don't let the Litesiders find out you recommended it - they'll accuse you of recommending artificial toning!imageimageimage
    Roy

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't let the Litesiders find out you recommended it - they'll accuse you of recommending artificial toning! >>

That's OK. I'll just threaten to start zapping liteside coins with electrolysis if they don't back off. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    If you are looking for large lots.
    1234augustus, Dominick out of Germany is good.
    I bought one lot and there some nice fourrees, denarii, larger bronze, 1 replublican coin, etc. Over all it was worth the money.
    The nicest coin, a Vespasian denarius with Cadaceus reverse and it has the reverse inscription. I would think it was bait if it hadn't been so engulfed in a heavy layer of dirt. So a good one slipped through. Cool!
    I bought a 1,000 coin lot and after shipping and other charges it came out to 1.04 per coin.
    I will buy again from him.

As to CIVITAS advice, definitely stay away for the gold claims. Diggers don't let that many slip by, if at all.

Best of luck,

Doug
    The Faustina Collector
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I've bought a bunch. Have about 60 or so in a bowl of olive oil right now for the past several months. Most are just plain unidentifiable. Although there were a few that were readable and identifiable. Definitely agree to avoid any ebay seller who says that people found gold. Likely it's polished brass or bronze.
  • Options

<< <i>I've bought a bunch. Have about 60 or so in a bowl of olive oil right now for the past several months. Most are just plain unidentifiable. Although there were a few that were readable and identifiable. Definitely agree to avoid any ebay seller who says that people found gold. Likely it's polished brass or bronze. >>

The "Gold" that people find are really orichalcum coins which are Roman brass coins that are about 70% copper and 30% zinc. They used that composition for Sestertii, Dupondii, and Semis. When harshly cleaned, they do look like "gold" coins.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's all good information I thank everyone for thier advice.