Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jefferson Collectors

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are MS66 coins for slightly better dates worth the effort of slabbing even if they are not full steps?

examples 1946, 1946-s, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1952-d, etc...

any thoughts?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey coinkat

even though they are better dates, Jeffersons are generally collected raw in non-FS grades since they are easy enough to find. exceptions/nickels that get holdered in non-FS might be coins with exceptional color, coins with a reasonable shot at the FS designation that miss or coins which are high grade. JMHO.

al h.image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Keets:

Honest, I am not trying to split hairs or be a pain... but from your answer I guess 66 isn't high enough for these dates for slabs?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets is absolutely right that very few people collect Jeffersons except in FS grades. On the other hand, it's not the way everyone collects them. Also, keep in mind that collecting trends have historically had a way of changing and broadening over the years. For example, once upon a time virtually no one collected anything but proofs, and almost no one collected coins with mint marks.

There are a few of us oddball Jefferson collectors who prefer high grade over striking quality. I'm one of them, and I would LOVE the opportunity to buy high grade (MS66-67) PCGS examples of several dates that are supposedly not worth having graded. In MS66 alone here's what I have not been able to find:

1949-P
    1952-P
    1954-P
    1954-D
    1955-P
    1958-P
    1961-D
    1962-D
    1963-D
    1964-D

Hope this information from the other side of the Full Step fence helps you more than confuses you.

-- Dennis
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess 66 isn't high enough for these dates for slabs?

hey coinkat

i think that's true for holdered coins from a submission point of view and probably from a collecting point of view as well. i collect MS Jeffersons in MS66FS with the FS part of the grade what i have difficulty finding raw. i've been taken to task by other members for saying this, but i don't have trouble locating coins which i assume would grade MS66, and that's across the board with regard to dates. why pay for a slabbed coin in a grade i can find for $2 raw?? at the same time, why would i submit a coin hoping for MS66 non-FS knowing i may have trouble finding a buyer if i choose to sell and losing money??

it's a simple enough thing for me to figure out. look at Buffalo nickels as an example. while many collectors form sets in circulated grades, nobody holders the coins in less than MS unless it's the rare dates or a mistake. collectors simply won't pay extra for something they can find themselves outside of a holder with relative ease.

al h.image
  • Options
    Coinkat.....MS66 PCGS Jeffersons are tough. The grade you call a coin can be anything....It is subjective. You can call it a MS7000 if you want....It ain't nothing till it's in a (PCGS) holder. Go ahead and collect "steps". I collect Coins and Jeffersons.

Slabbed Jeffersons are an extention of my Raw set.

Enjoy your Jeffersons.

MAKE MY DAY....FINE ME SOME CHEAPO MS66's
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I'm trying to put together a raw solid ms65+ set. I am having lots of trouble finding any p coin 1946-1955. Anyone have any?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file