Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How to sell a PSA Set

I am currently listing a 1969 Topps Starter set on Ebay. Is asking for Money orders only a mistake? And is a reserve of 65% of SMR reasonable as well? Looking for your opinions.

Thanks,

Glen

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Your reserve at 2/3 book is fair. But limiting your sales by not accepting checks & Paypal may be a mistake...jay
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Jay is right, as usual.......(but will we be watching Sheffield in pinstripes this year?).
    ... as much as I don't like paypal in principle, in reality alot of e-bayers only seem to bid on paypal auctions. The added benefit of being able to make a big purchase (like your offering) on a credit card is probably magnified this month. I might consider adding a "buy it now" at a comfortable profit , if that is within reason and SMR.
    good luck.
  • Options
    MURCERFAN - Good point about the Buy It Now, it only costs a nickel and you can set your reserve at 65% and a Buy It Now at 95%.
    That may also help someone place a bid at your minimum (65%) so they won't get shut out if someone does use the Buy It Now.
    If they bid the reserve, the BIN disappears. So its good psychology to use it in this case.

Regarding Sheffield, I'm sure he will be in pinstripes in '04. I'm just worried if he can handle the attitude adjustment. I'd hate for the guy to be a cancer in the clubhouse. As great as he is, he seems to be on a different team every 2 years, that says something!...jay
  • Options
    Well I changed it to a Paypal auction thanks for the advice.

1969 Topps PSA Starter Set - 104 cards
    SMR=$3000+ Reserve set at 65% of SMR! Paypal!
    Item number: 2768519215

The reserve is set at 65% and buy it now is $550 less than SMR.

Let me know if this looks good.

Thanks,

Glen
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    murcerfan - Can Sheffield pitch? I hope Sheffield turns into another Raul Mondesi in New York. Are the Yanks going to sign Pettitte or Colon or both?
  • Options
    Glen's 1969 eBay auction
    GLEN - The auction looks good. I wouldn't have used a Reserve price, since you set the opening bid at $1500. If you set your reserve as the minimum bid you wouldda save a few $ in eBay fees....jay
  • Options
    The similarity of your list in the auction to my Set Registry Spreadsheets is too much of a coincidence! You will be contacted by my attorney shortly. image

I agree with Jay - the use of a reserve price was unnecessary. It will cost you a lot, especially if the set does not sell.

JEB.
  • Options
    Virtualizard!!

I thank you for noticing! I am sorry for not posting a thanks to you in my add. I use your spreadsheets for all my sets. Your service of spreadsheets is the best in the card industry. I just did a copy and paste. I am truely sorry for not mentioning your name. I will add it now. I did not want to post a wrong thanks.

Thanks,

Glen
  • Options
    Virtualizard,

Your name is now in my ebay auction. I should have posted a thanks to you right away. Your speadsheets are used by many. Again, sorry for my cut and paste. I too would have made a comment If i saw my work in somebody's auction.

Thanks again,

Glen
  • Options
    I would have spent the extra 75 cents per photo and Supersized the pictures. I find on my auctions that you get back many times the cost of the Supersizing. Some people with dinosaur computers complain that it takes too long to load the pictures, but those people never bid in my experience. Serious bidders have top of the line equipment.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    One drawback I have to point out in using Paypal is the percentage you have to pay for the privilege. If you have the basic account, you can't accept cards and, IIRC, have only a $100 monthly limit on payments made to you. You'll have to jump up to the "premier" account if you haven't already. If someone BINs your auction, you deduct over $80 in Paypal fees on top of the ebay fees. And once your account is upgraded you can't go back to basic, so all transactions from now on will have those fees attached. I don't know if this is significant to you, but it's something to think about. On those occasions where I've sold high-dollar items, I took only personal checks and MOs, and sometimes only MOs, and that hasn't deterred interest. The guys willing to drop four figures on an auction just have their secretaries go get them a MO or cut a cashiers check.

WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Glen,

You did know that I was kidding, right?

Anyway, thanks for the mention. I'm always glad to help in any way I can.

Good luck with the auction.

JEB.
  • Options
    I knew you were kidding. I was going to say something the first time but I could not remember what board member gave away the spreadsheets. I always give credit where credit is do. I really do appreciate the job you do for everyone. The laywer joke was funny, but I understood the silk lineing.

Thanks again for all your help with the hobby, I as well as others appreciate it.

Glen