Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Suggestions on scanning please...

When scanning a coin, what resolution setting do you use?

I don't have a digital camera, yet, and I want to add (nice quality) images to my Registry sets. I would like the images to be a nice size, 4 - 6 inches on the monitor. The images have to be 50kb or less also.

I'll check back later. Have to go to another Thanksgiving dinner. image I don't know how much more of this I can take. Maybe I'll skip the turkey and go right to desert. image

Thanks in advance for the tips.
Dan

Comments

• Options
    Stman has been getting some great results in this thread.

Also try a search using the words scanning or just scan. Loads of info in the past.
    "DragonAzz doesn't strike me as a nutcase." clw54 06/18/06

The good thing about having multiple personalities is that there's always a designated driver.

Yes, I'm an agent of Satan but my duties are largely ceremonial.
  • Options
    Set your pixels for 272 to 305...go to image size after you've scanned....change to the above pixel size....save as....and you BE DONE
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    I use either 200 or 300 DPI. Sometimes with slabs, I tilt one side with a floppy disc ( maybe two opposite sides but not often ) using floppies that I don`t consider any good in case of possible electromagnetic damage to the floppy. Raw in 2x2 flips, I usually leave flat on the bed. Sometimes I might tilt it with a dime but, usually just flat on the bed. With my scanner, and I assume with other scanners too, you`ll be able to adjust the size of the scan if you choose to do so.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually scan at 300 DPI. Some people use less resolution, but I like to try and show the marks on the coin as well. At 300 dpi on a Morgan you might have to reduce the file size a bit for the 50kb board upload limit. For half dollars and smaller, it should scan and be at the board limits as is.

As others have said, you will need to tilt the coin a bit, more-so with toned coins. Other wise they will end up looking like? well you know. It just takes a lot of time experimenting to get results you're happy with.

One time with a certain slab tilting the coin might look great, then a different slab won't. You'll end up getting the hang of it after a while by just looking at the coin and thinking... OK this is a NGC slab, or this is a PCGS slab and these usually scan a certain way. Bottom line, it's mainly trial and error. Toned coins are the toughest, and each one is different as you know so it will scan different.

I would like to have a camera setup and people keep telling me to.... but all the time I've spent scanning I'd hate to get into lights, a place to setup everything and all the time involved to learn it. I just don't have the time or patience, so I just do the best I can with a scanner, and leave it at that. Good luck and enjoy!!
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Thanks for your help. I'll give the suggestions a try.

Hopefully I'll get a digital camera soon too. Another project to add to my long list of things to learn and do. image
    Dan
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Thanks again for the help. I just took a few minutes to scan a RB two cent I had handy. I doesn't exhibit the luster you see in person. Otherwise I think it's a good representation of the piece. Also, I scanned at 400 resolution.

imageimage
    Dan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file