Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Buying foreign coins by the pound.

My banker called me Saturday (she knows I collect coins) and told me about someone who is interested in selling his foreign coins. He has a little over 8 pounds of them in some old coffee cans. I have not seen them but he told me the dates range from the 1800's.
Now my Question.
What would you offer to pay per pound for foreign coins sight unseen? Keep in mind that I will most likely resale most of these coins.
Thank you,
Glenn
I think I caught the Darkside bug!

Comments

• Options
    Glen, If you look on e-bay you will find these going for between $5 and whatever a pound. A pound of coins, depending on size of course, is not that many in number.

Not much help with your question but hopefully a little info...image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    World coin mixtures can be worth as little as about $1 a pound if it's mostly Canada and Mexico.
    Really bad Eurupean mixtures can be as little as about $2.50 per pound. Most of the mixtures you
    actually see are worth $4 to $6 a pound wholesale. Good mixtures can go much higher. Something
    you'd see at a bank would have had a lot of legal tender in it and been worth about $8 just a couple
    years ago but most of these have been demonetized because of the Euro. It also would likely con-
    tain tokens and medals.

If you can't see it first or it's a large amount then you may want to keep your bid down a little.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    You need to see the collection before determining how much to offer per pound. A quick look will allow you to determine if there is a fair mixture of silver in the lot and the relative dates and countries they are from. As ckadking stated mixtures with heavy Canadian and Mexican coins go cheaper than 19th Century European coins. The amount of silver will really determine your offer. Very little silver, $5-$8 a pound depending on the countries and period of the coins. A large amount of silver - ???
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure it's worth the effort for non collecting purposes.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    From a collectors point of view the 2 biggest concerns are any silver? and how much of it is "easy to come by countries" thinking Canadian, Mexican, Netherlands, France, Great Britain, etc.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3