Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mint error experts....is this a Die Adjustment coin?

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know this coin looks heavily circulated, but it weighs about the same as a mint state Delaware quarter. Almost half of the obv and rev rims don't exist. The missing rims are on the opposite ends of the obv and rev. This coin has detail in the center and no detail around half of the rims. Is this a Die adjustment coin? Sorry about the dark pictures.

Edited to change trail strike to die adjustment coin.

Comments

• RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    No.

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rittenhouse.....Do you have any idea what caused this coin to look this way?

The reason I think it could be a test strike is it has no detail at the rims and plenty of design detail at the center of the coin. No way this could be wear beause the coins higher detail would show wear first, plus it weighs about the same as a mintstate quarter. Oh yeah, the rim reeding is very weak and almost non existant. These are all symptoms of the mint testing a coin to get the right striking pressure.

Anyone else have a clue about this coin?image
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Grease fill
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.

<< <i>Grease fill >>

Then why is the reeding extremely weak?
  • I can't say for sure, but it fits CONECA's definition of a "die adjustment" error.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God!
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    ~PATRICK HENRY~
    Jody526....I meant to say die adjustment coin instead of trail strike. Thanks for your help.image
  • Paul,
    You're welcome. I believe that's what it is, but I'm a long way from being an expert.

Jody
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God!
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    ~PATRICK HENRY~
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭✭
    Struck through grease. My 2c....
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Grease fill >>

Then why is the reeding extremely weak? >>

If the grease were not too viscous, then if it were concetrated on the edge of the coin, it could easily have dripped into the collar, which adds the reeding.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
    Manorcourtman.....If it is from a grease filled die, then why is there little or no reeding on the side of the coin and why is the coin about the same weight as a mintstate coin?

Die adjustment coins have:
    Very weak reeding.
    Weak detail near the rim of the coin.
    Good detail at the center of the coin.
    Usually have close to the same weight as a mintstate coin.
  • Grease can also get into the collar causing reeding not to show. But send it in to be sure. It is not the spitting horse variety though.
    APN... Then why the same weight as a mintstate coin?
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>APN... Then why the same weight as a mintstate coin? >>

All planchets are the same weight- if it is not struck as well, it will still all be there, just not the same weight distribution. The only way a coin will weigh less is if there is wear, or if part of the planchet is missing.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

<< <i>The only way a coin will weigh less is if there is wear, or if part of the planchet is missing. >>

ARN....You are right, I don't know what I was thinking.image
    Still if you look at GW's hair it looks like weak strike and not grease filled die.
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way too much detail for a die adjustment piece. That strike is due to VERY greasy dies. Not at all uncommon to have affected the reeding also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file