Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Great news for me - all collectibles will one day crash in value!

- thereby, leaving plenty of opportunities for me to buy at pennies on the dollar compared to today's prices. Hey, maybe I'll be able to get $20 Saints at the $65 prices I read they once traded at "back in the day"!

...or so this guy "delekkerste" from across the street would have you believe. He's a banking/investment fellow from NY who is of the following opinion re: comic books, but he drags all collectibles into his theory as follows:

someone said to him: Collectables go in cycles. Like the stock market, you buy when they are low and sell when they are high (if that is where your interests are).

His various replies (emphases are mine):

That implies regular periodicity and does not account for secular declines, which I believe the comic book hobby is in (as are cards, stamps and coins). Not saying they are going away anytime soon, but I doubt any of them will be as popular as they were in the 20th century.

I know there's a lot of smart people on this Board who don't seem to think so, but I'm going to stick to my guns and declare that there has been a cultural paradigm shift away from collecting condition-sensitive artifacts. We live in a digital, disposable, interactive age...the collecting habits of the next generation won't be what we've all grown up with.

Yessir, we've all been wasting our time, discussing the merits of VF, AU and eleven states of minty-freshness. Why, I've a mind to scrub all my original AU Barbers clean, and spend all my classic gold for face. Old things are stinko and no one in the future will take any interest in anything that occured prior to their brief-span lifetimes.

What do YOU say? image

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    total hogwash.
    I feel the opposite is / will be true.

JMO
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    OT - but congrats on your new title Cam40; I love round numbers image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    I think he's a little off-base, in that he may have a point re: certain eras of comics - but he extrapolates his theories too easily to all printed matter, then stamps, then coins too, i.e. all condition-sensitive items.

Too bad he forgot about those classic car price crashes, too; after all, they're condition-sensitive and he could've rounded it out nicely there. Someone lemme know when I can get a cherry '71 Hemi 'Cuda for the 1973 price of $6,000 or so! Someone richer can take the Duesenbergs that I'm certain will come down to a reasonable $100,000 or so.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Collectables go in cycles, but definetely not like the stock market. The reasons are very different.

I think he needs to find a hobby image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    OT - but congrats on your new title Cam40; I love round numbers

DOH!!!
    I missed it. Knew it was coming up.
    Now I cant make the `hey look everyone.I,m a Master Collector now` post. image

Thanks SYRACUSIAN. image
  • Options
    I believe that, barring a catastrophic world war, there will always be a segment
    of the population that will seek quality collectables, including coins.
    As long as the collectors have the income and there is a limited supply of high-
    grade coins, the market will continue to maintain it's value.
  • Options
    Ditto Skip.
    We humans are collectors by nature.
    Only if we,re ever all wiped out will that change.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file