Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Braddick: Did You Simply "Steal" That Monster Toned GW Proof Half On Ebay, Or...

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
was it a combination of getting a great buy on the coin combined with the reality that color coins prices have softened significantly in the past 12-18 months for modern color coins? I am referring to Braddick purchase tonight (ebay # 2204917411) of Supercoin's monster toned 1982 GW Proof Commem Half for around 43% of what the last one sold for (and I believe Supercoin may have liked this coin slightly better than the first one as well). Are we seeing a "correction" taking place in modern color coins or simply did Braddick "rip" one tonight? Thoughts? And, congratulations Pat for adding such a cool coin to your color coin collection!! image Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    It's possible that there's a significant softening for modern color coins; never having had any particular affection for them, I've not followed that market at all. Here and there I have a modern when the design appeals to me, and that's it.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitch, I was fortunute to purchase ALL of Supercoin's offerings off of eBay tonight. I locked in what I believed to be healthy bids on his colorful Ikes (and the lone Washington Commemorative) earlier in week and updated my bids earlier today and just held my breath. I was successful, in part, in slowing traffic on eBay due to the Holiday weekend.
    Then again, it might be a correction away from Contemporary Colorful coins. But, I doubt that personally.

peacockcoins

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linka-dinka-doo

I was going to bid on this one. Too spendy, though. The most beautiful 82 GW I've ever seen.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    I would say this seller is anti-minnesotanimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say this seller is anti-minnesotan >>

I would say he lives there.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    In comparing Braddicks coin to the images of the previously sold ex. Supercoin-ex. ANACONDA coin I think the difference in price could easily be attributed to less color on both sides as well as the Holiday bidding. If Tad says this one is nicer it probably is, but the image seems to have a less spectacular halo of color especially on the obverse. I would love to own either coin or even see them in person.

The "other" coin (I think?):

imageimage

Oops, larger images didn't work.image

BC
    Dip Happens...image
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    This is by no means an effort to debate the "value" of this coin, but, wouldn't this coin (untoned) run around $30???
    Gilbert
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat: At what level were you going to stop bidding, if you don't mind revealing it? What a "score".

I was just curious if you thought all the "press" lately concerning questionable modern color coins may be impacting the pricing in that market.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but, wouldn't this coin (untoned) run around $30??? >>

Actually, less. A PR69DCAM can be had for about $25, this one is a 68DCAM.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As nice as the color is on both, that's a pretty steep premium!

Just my eversohumble opinion image

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭

<< <i>and the lone Washington Commemorative >>

very nice indeed

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pat: At what level were you going to stop bidding, if you don't mind revealing it? What a "score".

I was just curious if you thought all the "press" lately concerning questionable modern color coins may be impacting the pricing in that market.

Wondercoin >>

Mitch, my max bids were approximately 40% higher than the ending bids on each of Tad's seven lots offered last night- maybe a bit less on the Washington Commemorative.

I'm pretty much priced out of the Monster Toned ("GSAGUY"/ "ANACONDA" type) Morgan market as I believe are many other collectors. Our desire for pretty coins though doesn't go away just because of it.
    Contemporary coins such as Ikes/Kennedies/Commemoratives (and- what I've been finding lately: Lincolns and Washingtons) with top notch color are available to quench that collecting desire.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    I think this one is a wonderful coin.
    To me, this first year for modern comm's having Washington depicted, is the finest one of the series. It has the "old style" look of the earlier commemorative issues.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen the "Other" Washington commem in person. Would you believe it is half owned by Jack Beymer, and half owned by Gsaguy? I believe after it passed through a few hands they ended up paying 1850.00 for it. I'm not revealing a secret as I've seen the price discussed on this forum before.

Jack loves this coin and has proudly showed it to me on a couple occasions. Doesn't do much for me, but it was nice to take a look anyway.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    First time I've heard the exact figure that the original coin resold for... wow!

I had both these coins in hand when I sold that one, and I do like this one a bit better. The first coin had more vibrant toning but this one flows more smoothly. Depends on what you like, toning is definitely a matter of taste.

The lower price might also have something to do with the grade, this one was a PR68 instead of a PR69, which means nothing to me on a coin like this, but may have meant something to some potential bidders.

Probably most of it was just the vagaries of eBay. The difference in price realized if a bidder or two don't show up can be extreme. And I didn't anticipate the holiday weekend when I listed it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file