Home U.S. Coin Forum

40 years worth of saved pennies cashed in recently at the bank

I heard this story on the radio tonight.
Apparently a man that collected cents for 40 years cashed them all in at a bank.
It took him about a week going back and forth to the bank to cash them all in.

What do yall think of that huh?

Comments

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Oh. His take was said to have been around $10,000

heard on coast to coast radio with Barbara Simpson sitting in.
  • Guess that's the difference between an accumulator and a collector.
    Wonder how many gems he rolled and got one-cent for.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He should have cashed them in three years ago when Chase Bank was paying a bonus for rolled cents. Chase paid an extra 5c per roll or 10% over face value.

McDonalds was also giving out free food (you call MacDonalds food?) in return for rolled cents.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • I've only got another 39 years to go.
    On 2nd thought, I probably won't be around in 2042.

Sam...
    i considered making this thread title ` worlds dumbest coin collector` but like you said , maybe he WASNT a collector but merely an accumulator.
    Still dumber than a sack of hammers to cash in all those cents AT FACE when you and I KNOW he was BOUND to have had more than a few sought-after errors and varieties in there.
    Maybe he DID pluck those out first. Not sure.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends....
    you may find it fun, but he probably did not think it would be fun to go through 100x10,000 (100 pennies per dollar and you said $10,000 worth, right?)=1,000,000 pennies.
    How long do you think that would take? And, if he didn't know the errors/varieties, etc, then, he would have to learn them and have an eye for them.

Again, it looks like a MILLION cents.....how long do you think it would take to look at them all? how many each day? how many hours until you would go blind/cross-eyed?

Now, I get rolls at the bank and go through them, but I don't do more than 5-10 rolls per week. I am boggled by trying to imagine how many this dude would have had....wow!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>depends....

Now, I get rolls at the bank and go through them, but I don't do more than 5-10 rolls per week. I am boggled by trying to imagine how many this dude would have had....wow! >>

I'm curious Bochiman, do you get new rolls or circulated ones and what are some good finds you've had? I'd like to do it myself, but I don't enough yet about the varieties/errors for it to even be worthwhile.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to get $20.00 wirth of roll circulated cents each week when I was a kid (back in the 1980s). My Father would pick them up for me on his way home from work.

I would sometimes find a Wheat cent. Back then, I could care less about varieties. I also pulled out all the copper cents and sent back the zincers. I still have them, too. All rolled up somewhere around here. image
  • I know that feeling about getting rolls and going through them when I was really young like 7-8 we were moveing from Michigan to Tennessee well we went back and forth almost every weekend takeing the round trip My mom would pick up rolls of coins before we left and they kept me busy that way I would go through coins the whole trip and if I got low or ran out they would get some at gas stations and other stops along the way.

so there is a Idea for you that have young collectors buy coins for your trip and let them seacrh
    9/11/01 NEVER FORGET

12/14/03 Bremer Confirms U.S. Captured Saddam

Joe Holt

joe_holt@bellsouth.net
  • Speaking of pennies! My oldman collected wheaties for years and he, not too long ago, took a trip to nirvana. His estate was split 3 ways, and of course, I got a 1/3 of the ROLLED wheaties. The dates in rolls are from the early 40's and upward. The tedium to search through each and every penny would be ludicrous on my behalf, for I have NO patience. So, what would ROLLS of wheaties bring on the open market?
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AFAIK at the banks around here coins don't have to be rolled when brought in. Some months back a college age kid brought in one of those water cooler jugs about half full of pennies. Poor gal behind the counter couldn't even lift it. Don't know how she dumped them into the counter. I asked a few days later and she said there was like $300 in there.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    razor: At least 3x face and edging upward. Ebay has seen higher prices. S mint also higher.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • razor: At least 3x face and edging upward. Ebay has seen higher prices. S mint also higher.

Thanks Oreville!...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Putting all of that money in stocks, or even just in a bank account would have generated nice returns. I imagine that it was quite an undertaking to transport all of those pennies!
  • I know a guy that has been filling 5 gal pails for years. It is just a sickness. I keep my eye on him though.

Bulldog
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • It could be down-right dangerous. Hauling that much weight could
    cause a rupture hernia.
    Not to mention the shock-absorber wear on the car.
  • Here's an interesting thought- what if he had brought them to the local "CoinStar" machine? That would have been a sight. Kind of makes me wonder what kind of goodies are being fed into those machines. I know I cash my own pocket change in about once a month, there is usally a few people ahead of me dumping in $100+ worth of change. Maybe it would make sense to get in good with the local CoinStar guy and see if you can search through the coins once in awhile?

Silver American Eagles ROCK
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing great, to be really honest. Wish I could say I did. Of course, I could be missing a few things since I am not well-versed in the series to really cherry pick.

I have gotten wheaties, an older (194x) canadian penny, and completed my 1959-present (minus the 2003-p). The 1982s still bother me, and I don't know if I have all 7 of them or not...I think I do, but going from copper/zinc and lrg/sm has me spinning on those...I don't have a small scale to weigh them, and they are all circ, so I am not sure).

So, I get them now to upgrade a few, and see if I can spot anything major.

In regards to your question about new/old rolls....I get whatever. I have used bank of america and the rolls they give me vary. I have gotten a couple of 2003-D rolls (all BU) and some that were 99% BU 2003-D and 1 older coin. I also get bankrolled, and customer rolled, older coins to go through.

Ron

<< <i>

<< <i>depends....

Now, I get rolls at the bank and go through them, but I don't do more than 5-10 rolls per week. I am boggled by trying to imagine how many this dude would have had....wow! >>

I'm curious Bochiman, do you get new rolls or circulated ones and what are some good finds you've had? I'd like to do it myself, but I don't enough yet about the varieties/errors for it to even be worthwhile. >>

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Thanks for the info Bochiman!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file