Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Early Christmas Peace ('28 Dollar) - Comments?

My dear wife (bless her heart) knew I was looking for a reasonably nice, high-grade circulated '28 Peace Dollar. She managed to win this one:

Link to subject item

It came today and looks OK, but has, in fact, been cleaned, but with no hairlines evident. The bulk of my almost completed set is AU to low MS. I suppose this coin will 'fit' alright with the rest. My question is, how does cleaning affect grade? If the details are consistent with a particular level, does a cleaning reduce the assessment to some point below that observed state?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

The Body of Benjamin Franklin Printer (Like the cover of an old book Its contents torn out and stript of its lettering and gilding) lies here, food for worms.
But the work shall not be lost for it will (as he believed) appear once more in a new and more elegant edition revised and corrected
by The Author.

(Ben's epitaph)

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would probably net to EF
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Cleaning of a coin makes the coin unsladable with PCGS.
    It is one of the worst things that can happen to your coin
    Right next to giant scratches.
    But some people do like them that way.

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Options
    Very nice! I just got mine slabbed by PCGS as MS62. I thought she would grade only AU55.

PCGS will, in fact, grade coins that have been lightly cleaned. It depends on the amount of cleaning. David Hall stated this recently in the Q&A forum. You may take a chance at PCGS before trying, say, ANACS (best slab for problem coins). If PCGS slabs her, I would say she is AU53. If not, ANACS would probably grade her AU details, cleaned, net XF45.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file