Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Who is loaf1240?

Does anyone know who this guy is? He's killing me on '34 Goudey's. He continually overpays SMR up to 150%+.

Any info on him?
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Comments

• I can't remember his name but he is a collector with DEEP pockets! At one time i had almost 70% of the 1964 Topps "Tall Boy" Hockey set graded PSA 8 and 9 NQ and when i broke it up he ended up buying atleast half of my cards and was paying between 125-200% of SMR. He even won one of my PSA 9's for over $625.00 which is over 3x SMR. This guy buys from all sports and only high end cards. Sorry i can't help with a name but it's been about a year ago sence i sold these cards so ive slept sence thenimage.

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • He seems to love '51 BOWMAN bASEBALL, '34 Goudeys, Basketball cards and game worn basketball uniforms.

He also seems to pay whatever it takes to win. Well tomorrow night I'm gonna test just how deep his pockets are as I go 300% above SMR for one particular card.
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Tom,
    why not contact him directly?? maybe he's more co-operative than you think.
    maybe you can avoid the wieght of an angry vendetta.
    Not to get preachy on you, but I don't really think "outing" a fellow collector and asking for his particulars in a public forum is real tactful.

Not trying to slam you bro, but that's my viewpoint.

..............just take a deep breath and chant a dozen
    "Curt Schilling will beat the Yankees"......image
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>why not contact him directly?? maybe he's more co-operative than you think. >>

So Murcer...have you contacted Mastro?
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He continually overpays SMR up to 150%+. >>

TOM - Then he's not the only one! If a card SMR's for $100 and thats what your bid is, there must be other bidders driving LOAF1240 to the final hammer price of $150 and above. So there are others to blame for the higher prices then just the winning bidder.
    Also if that $100 card auctions for $150, then at that time its not an overpaid price, its the realistic price of someone who needs the card...jay
    John,
    I have contacted Bill and Doug Allen on many occasions.
    ..........and they have promised to stop running me up on e-bay.

• acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    I believe his name is Jon Michelon. He's a great guy and a fierce bidder on 1964 Topps Hockey.

Regards,

Alan
  • murcer-

Wow. Outing?

Not sure what I said about this guy that makes you think I'm trying to out him in public. I'm just trying to find out what I can on him. But if you think me asking about him in this forum is out of line...well, you're certainly welcome to your opinion. Thanks for giving it.

Jay-

I know who's bidding him up. Me. I'm just jealous his pockets appear to be deeper than mine image

• qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know who's bidding him up. Me >>

Tom, Then your salvation will be when the next card comes up that he already paid 150% smr, that you can nab for 90-100%
    You'll get the last laugh and stretch your hobby dollar. With eBay, you'll see alot more cards you need coming up eventually...jay
    I'm just trying to find out what I can on him.

undersrtood..........my bad.

and who said annonymity was an inalienable right anyway??

edited to add: I'm sure your reasons for wanting to find out about him are entirely noble.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Amen to that, Jay. I just picked up a tough serial #ed rookie parallel (in a parallel set I'm putting together) on a BIN for 2/3 of what I drove my main competitor on this set to a couple weeks ago. OK, I probably noticed the card before he did (thank goodness for holidays), but I still have to wonder why a seller set a BIN at 2/3 of what the last one went for - and it's still searchable in the database.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • I asked a similar question on the vintage forum a week or so ago and got no response. I figured it was one of the big wheels in here or nobody knew. I don't see anything wrong with inquiring as to a bidders info. I'm looking for low grade or raw 33 Goudey and it gets frustrating when a bidder has high bid on 30+ aucions and they are 150% SMR. I just wanted his lower end stuff not any vendetta. Just an opinion. image

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    > Well tomorrow night I'm gonna test just how deep his pockets are as
    > I go 300% above SMR for one particular card.

I don't know if it's the card you're talking about bidding 300% on,
    but that's a nice Greenberg you got tonight! I tried, but my snipe
    didn't even go through...

Congrats! image

Chuck

• << <i>I don't know if it's the card you're talking about bidding 300% on,
    but that's a nice Greenberg you got tonight! I tried, but my snipe
    didn't even go through...

Congrats! image

Chuck >>

CW -

It sure is. I won that card at $1175. The funny part is that the SMR is $650 and my snipe price was $2050. Thank God it didn't go that high but that's how frustrated I am with him and the Greenberg card!! image

The best part is there were six PSA 8 low number 1934 Goudeys that book at $395 each. I bid loaf1240 up to $1125 on each of them before I quit. Then a new face entered the picture that goes by sdireland and won each of the six cards at $1375 each with snipes. WOW!!!

These cards are sooooooo under priced in the SMR. Anyhow, I finally won!!!!! Or did I (at $1175)? YEP!! NO DOUBT!!!
  • GoBoSox,
    Didn't you just have some 33's on EBay a week or so ago? I tried to bid on those but sjmikrock8, whoever he is bid them up pretty high. I guess SMR is just a guide and by no means gospel on what cards go for. If I remember correctly he paid well over book for those. Nice cards though, probably well worth it. I just started my 33's but they are low end due to the cost. Are 34's just as available, I thought about those next.image

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• It wasn't me. I had a bunch of PSA graded '34s available, but not '33s.

'34s are readily available. However, the competition for cards graded PSA 5 and above is pretty tough these days. You can expect to pay anywhere from 90-300% of SMR depending on the player or the last time a card of the grade has been available.