Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: Opus 327

THE INN WORKS, 1925, Cast Bronze, 95mm

I am currently in negotiations to acquire this piece. According to the seller and several dealers I've spoke with here in the U.S., it is difficult to come up with a fair price since this has been offered so rarely. The current owner has had this piece for 20 years and in that time has not seen another. If we can find some prices realized from previous auctions we may be able to work something out. In the meantime I have to wait around until that happens. This is a beautiful example of this Opus.

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    A little different Goetz piece from the politically oriented subject matter you normally show. "In negotiations"... sounds expensive.
    I like the hand with the lightning bolts at top and the clasped hands below-what did they signify?
    Oh, nice looker!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    " A little different Goetz piece from the politically oriented subject matter you normally show."

Not really...you forget that I focus on his large cast pieces and Goetz actually made more commemorative designs than political. In this case this medal is commemorating the opening of the chemical and metal plant in 1925. The inscription on the obverse "To the opening of the Inn plant 1917, The Reich and Bavaria 1925." On the reverse, "Nitrogen and Aluminum." Evidently the owner has the original presentation box that went with the piece too.

I also just picked up an early 1906 piece of Goetz's...a uniface portrait plaque showing his boss's, a Munich engraver, wife. This was done shortly after his return from Paris in 1904.

PS: You might note what I am finding to be an identifier of a Goetz piece...look at the disproportionate right hand of the left worker on the obverse. Some examples are more obvious than others but this guy has a "biggun"....

Thought I might as well plug in the auction image of the portrait plaque I mentioned above. Can't wait to get this in my hands for reimaging.
  • Options
    You're really on a roll. I picked up a few auction catalogs on ebay but no Opus 327 in any of them.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    You might take a look at the shape of the headgear also,, Doesn't Goetz have a thing for phalic symbols.
  • Options
    Scott - You have picked up on something I have mentioned in some of your other Goetz posts, that is: as good as an artist Goetz is (no argument there) he does sometimes have his proportions incorrect. When he does portraits the detail in the head and face is incredible but then sometimes shoulders, arms or hands will be out of step. Very interesting. The lettering font - which I believe is his own design - is also a giveaway.
    But I love them- please don't stop with your collection and the wonderful posts.
    Shep
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Cache, thanks for some more treats! I do like the industrial design on the reverse as much as or even more than the traditional agricultural scene on the obverse. This shows his ability and competence in any motif.

Good luck with the negotiations; you could always offer a trade of your Gothics for this...image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    " You might take a look at the shape of the headgear also,, Doesn't Goetz have a thing for phalic symbols. "

Sometimes we can read more into something then is actually there. In this case, Goetz modeled this metalworker wearing his hardhat...and it may be that they have them turned around much like people do with their ball caps nowadays. It appears that the farm laborer on the left probably has his shirt or cloth rolled into his hair to protect him from the sun (like what we do with a bandana). Goetz's original design for this medal was purely neo-classical in design and content, robed women. There is nothing in the subject matter, the commemoration of the opening of a manufacturing plant, to dictate any reason for Goetz to include phallic symbols. I mean, yeah, I can see what you're saying Boz, but I don't think that is the case in this medal. image
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    That is indeed a wonderful looking Inn Works piece!! I'm afraid I cannot help with a price on it either as that's the first time I've seen one outside a book. There are many scarcities among Goetz's works and this is a particularly tough one. It's even more valuable with its original presentation case. Just taking a shot in the dark, I'd guess the price for this one might fall in the $750-1250 range, but this is really a call for true experts.

The hand gripping the lightning bolts is symbolic for power generation; running an aluminum plant at that time required quite a bit of power, whic is why this plant was sited on a major, fast-moving river.

I still lust after that Elsa, but I'm glad she found a great home!image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    I just closed the deal on this piece with a private collector in Germany. It will be in the mail tomorrow. I can't wait to receive it as it is in the original box of issue with the paperwork too. I got this medal for a song according to Askari and know I would be hard pressed to find another in this condition. Images to follow!! image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Congratulations!! I've had my fingers crossed for you! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options

Love to see your new purchases, when I open the forum your's is one of the post I open first; yet I have no intrest in collecting this area

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    Thanks Dan...what area do you collect?