Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I bought a no brainer Ecuadorian --NOW new and improved with PICS!!!

1944 5 sucres, dripping with luster, in BU yesterday from my local coin dealer, for $6.50. I can't go wrong...it has an intrinsic value of $4 to $5 in silver, so even if I don't like the coin, it is a good buy. Btw, it's my first Ecuadorian coin.

Comments

• Love those Ecuadorian coins - Many with the portrait of old muttonchops on the obverse. Post a picture if you can.

Shep image
  • Very nice ones you have there, shep. I also like your name for "oldmuttonchops".

• Very nice - The guy isn't much of a looker but he sure is on all of their coinage - I'm sure glad that style of sideburns is no longer in - he would have given Elvis a run for his money.
    Shep
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin! I bought one of those at auction once (online) but the coin sent to me was far from brilliant uncirculated, as it showed in the pictures. Bait and switch, and I hated it.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭
    Isn't that Kramer from the Seinfeld show on those coins?
    "Have a nice day!"
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    <<The guy isn't much of a looker but he sure is on all of their coinage - I'm sure glad that style of sideburns is no longer in - he would have given Elvis a run for his money.>>

<<Isn't that Kramer from the Seinfeld show?>>

Blackhawk! Kramer is much better-looking (and funnier too) image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not too impressed by Ecuador's coins, but in 1846 (KM32) and again in 1858 (KM39) they minted two splendid crowns. I could afford the latter, but I am afraid that the former may forever be out of my reach.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Nice coin, Susan. The guy on the coins reminds me of Nomar Garciaparra (Red Sox shortstop).
    Joe
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Old muttonchops, gotta love those sideburns. image
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Just in case someone comes in. It's been a while since anyone has posted here.
    General Sucre was a truly wonderful man whom is very much loved in Ecuador. I do admit the coin's make him look truly ugly but in live he wasn't so bad looking at all image. Something got lost in the translation and the sideburns were the trend in those days and just be happy it was a LONNNNNNNNNG time ago. Hahahahaaaaa Look at the paper money and you will find some very beautiful specimens.
    Inti Illimani
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Welcome to the forum, Ayora!! image Are you from Ecuador? What do you collect?
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, Luvdawgs.

I've had some older Ecuadorian coins, and liked 'em.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Very, very attravtive...ship, Susanimage at the Coat of Arms!!
    N. N.
  • Muttonchops went out of style ? image

What about pony tails on bald guys? image

Nice coins. image
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave