Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Rupees Anyone?

Help me, I'm getting sucked into another coin collection! Does anyone out there collecting Tibetans or Szechuan rupees? You may know I like old chinese coins, and I made the mistake of researching adjacent couintries. Check out this website Tibetan coins . Tibet used a lot of Nepalese and Chinese coinage prior to coining their own, and the rupee influence came from India direct and through Nepal. China even minted Szechuan rupees for the western provinces so the would be accepted.
I'd be interested in knowing if any dealers carry a good selection. My usual suspects are hit and miss with these coins.
Chinese cash enthusiast

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    The Szechuan rupees are quite interesting! I imagine that the number of dealers that have any of these in stock, much less specialize in them is very limited. Good luck in your quest! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd never heard of Szechuan rupees until just now.

I recently bought a new Ian Anderson album called "Rupi's Dance", though- does that count? image

Listened to it on my way to work.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I've only seen one before, and have never seen them offered anywhere besides that.
  • Options
    Szechuan Aren't those the ones with the RED asterisk on the Chinese menus?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Yep, the ones where you eat the tiny red peppers at your own risk!
    Chinese cash enthusiast