Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Unopened 1960 Leaf Pack

OK...couldn't resist and I opened it. 5 cards...all bent by the 2 marbles in the pack. At least no gum stains. Grades:

Vic Power PSA 9
Tom Borland PSA 9
Juan Pizarro PSA 8
Ernie Broglio PSA 7
Bill Tuttle PSA 7.

This was a Series 1 pack. Mr.Mint recently found a case of Series 2 packs. Waiting for the flood on EBAY.
Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!

Comments

• Options
    Mantlefan...

Hey Frank, not bad...2/9's...1'8...and 2/7's....

Seems like a pretty good outcome to me...

(BTW...What does one do with the marbles ??? )image

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    The marbles must not have bent them too badly. That seems to be a good result based on what everyone says about unopened packs.

Do you think you broke even considering what you paid for the pack?
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Since there were no stars in Franks pack, the smr for the 5 cards comes out to just $152 ($10 PSA-7 - $22 PSA-8 - $55 PSA-9) although the smr seems low on this issue. Add the grading and shipping fees, it doesn't look like a money maker. but at least you have the wrapper and some marblesimage ...jay
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Do you think you broke even considering what you paid for the pack

I bought 2 of these packs @$75 each from Mark Murphy about 5 years ago. The cards were really well preserved. I put a heavy book on top of them for 1 day to remove the bend. The Power is the first PSA 9 graded and the Borland is a 1 0f 2, so I think I'll do OK.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    frank not bad here are my most resent results from a 70 2nd series basketball
    1970 TOPPS 121 JIM BARNES 7
    1970 TOPPS 122 BERNIE WILLIAMS 8
    1970 TOPPS 137 CALVIN MURPHY 9OC
    1970 TOPPS 139 JON McGLOCKLIN 8
    1970 TOPPS 142 JIM BARNETT 8
    1970 TOPPS 142 JIM BARNETT 8
    1970 TOPPS 162 FRED CRAWFORD 7

The other 3 cards were all way off center. These results were very perplexing. THe 2 7's were due to centering. The murphy had a wax stain on the front which I got most off but didn't think it worthy of a 9 grade. The 4 8's were all centered well, thought I would have at least gone 2 -9 , 2- 8 on those. the results on this one don't make sense to me but it was fun.

Before this I opened 2 72 baseball 1st/2nd series packs and did not get 1 centered card i nthe bunch. lol

Bad luck recently getting me back for my good luck in the past year on the packs I opened. still a ton of fun.

nice results on the leafs. I can't wait for mr mints to float around as they should be a good price after a little bit much like dave and adams 61 fleer football packs

• Options
    Sounds like a winner to me then. Thanks for the info Frank.
  • Options
    Since I am building this set, I have started to keep close track of trends for sales...

I suspect that the 9s will close at least in the $80-100 range, and the Pizaro 8 will close in the $30-50 range. Of course if Don needs any of these cards, all bets are off.

In regard to breaking packs, this is a strange set. Series 2 packs always close higher than series 1 packs, but breaking a series 1 pack has FAR more upside than a series 2 pack. If you look at the pops, the average grade for series 2 cards is much higher than series 1, while the numbers are comparable. Series 2 cards may be harder to find in lower grades, but are much easier than series 1 in high grade.

-JR