Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How can you tell the difference between BRONZE and COPPER?

I hope this is not a stupid question!
Glenn

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By looking at what the Krause catalog says. image

(Seriously, though- it's not easy, but copper is often a darker brown. Not always, though.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Bronze is usually lighter and copper, redder. But of course not always. Pretty definitive eh? image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    There you have it. That's about as definitive as it gets.

Unless you're a metallurgist or scientific geek who can test the specific gravity or whatever they do.

I just look in Krause. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Bronze makes a deeper tone when it lands on the sidewalk. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options

<< <i>Unless you're a metallurgist or scientific geek who can test the specific gravity or whatever they do, just look in Krause. >>

That's what I doimage.
    Roy

• Options
    Oops. image

• Options
    Well I'm not sure if you're asking how to tell the difference in looks, or what the different definitions mean. Copper is a pure mixture, and bronze is copper mixed with tin, usually about 5%. Brass is copper mixed with zinc in various proportions. From a visual standpoint, coins made of bronze look more "crisp" if that makes sense. Copper and bronze are reddish and brass is yellowish.