Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1745 Lima shilling/ no crossbar in A of LIMA

greetings funseekers:

I was able to find a nice 1745 Lima shilling... I buy the coin, I didn't notice that the A in LIMA is missing the crossbar. Coincraft lists the variety in ef at about 30-40 pounds more than the standard coin with the crossbar... Are there many collectors out there looking for this variety? Any thoughts from across the pond Lloyd? Thanks for your participation.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    The only thing against it is that it isn't in Spinks or ESC, but the recording in Coincraft is enough to brag about when selling. If it wasn't recorded the buyer would think that it was just a flaw (which it probably is). I can't imagine them using an inverted V on such elaborate coinage but....

There would be collectors looking to buy but to realize really good money for an old head George II shilling would be asking a lot.

Is it EF? EF in Spinks (normal LIMA) is currently £300 but I don't think that would ever be realized.

I would luuurve to see a pic.

L
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Filled die? Broken punch? Inverted "V" punch? I doubt I'd be willing to pay much more for it that a normal version, but that is just me.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lloyd:

Thanks for the response. I would love to post a scan and/or picture but I have no scanner or digital camera. It is original and by British Standards, I think it makes EF and perhaps some might say GEF. by US standards, I think it easily is AU55 possibly AU58. 300 pounds sterling seems steep for the 1745 LIMA shilling ($475 or so...), but then again, everything seems to be going up.

I like the George II shillings...especially the young head but those seem to be tough in solid VF and higher grades. The 1745 without the LIMA I believe is slightly more diffficult to obtain but perhaps not as historic.

Aethelred:

I have faith that you will eventually collect Morgan Dollars...by VAMS image

• Options
    I do own a copy of VAM.image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>I do own a copy of VAM.image >>

But don't tell anyone!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your secret is safe... let me know when you get scarface and donkey tail.image