Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The 1980 Topps Baseball set will be retired soon

Hey everyone,

just wanted to take a minute to inform anyone who cares that I will be retiring the set as soon as a couple picture files are corrected.

There is a long list of thanks I'd like to share with everone that includes,fellow collectors,dealers,submitters,boardmembers and friends I've made a long the way,but I'll get to that later.

Stay away from Akita's

Rob

Edited to add just a small list of ebayers,boardmembers,dealers,submitters to give thanks to:
BBC Exchange Steve - and his crew.
Cdman12 Chris Milty - listed as MIA
Purely PSA
JeffVn
Hometown Sports
Rakovank
Grays
DWarren71 - MIA
Fivestarcollectibles
Sandlotauctions
littledevildog
1980Toppsguy
Mosi2 Brian - MIA
Bailey
Stump
mikeschmidt
1420 Sports
Creeperkat
Punchymuffin - the #2 guy
Qualitycards
Mike Castaldi
Skerbe
4 sharp corners
sirius@smart.net
Wolfe239
dslsports
smcx3@aol.com
kalch23

Comments

• Rob -

Godspeed on your hand healing. Hopefully your next 80 Topps set will top the one you just built!

Steve
  • Rob - we've talked (via email) about your condition and really don't want you to get rid of your set.

This board stepped forward before for a fellow board member (Carlos Aponte) and many sold cards, sent money via paypal and got PSA to kick in for some gradings.

Is this something that we could do so that you could save your set?

If so, do you have a paypal account so people could help out?

Let me know.

Dale
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
  • I would definitely kick in for RobE to stay with his set. Just say the word image
  • I'm in too! LMK where to send $$$. Get better Rob.image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Hey Rob...

Don't know what kind of situation you're in, but I'm there for 'ya...

LMK and I'll send some "Royal" dollars your way. Keep the set if you can....

Best

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • I'll send some beef and some cake if you're hungry.
  • RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Thanks for the offer guys but I just woudn't feel right if anyone did that.Although,it's very kind of you to offer to help and I'm really appectiative of the thought,but I just couldn't accept it.Plus,I've committed to a couple things with other collectors,if I renegged,it just wouldn't be fair to those people as much as I'd rather keep the set and continute my work.

An alternative to what you guys are trying to do would be when a number of cards are auctioned,maybe you'll find one or two you would like.I'm shooting for the day after Christmas to auction everything since a while back when entertaining offers for off auction there were several people who wanted all the same cards and I figure Ebay to be fair game.I did commit to a couple collectors on a few cards,but didn't feel right having to go back and tell another person sorry I sold what you want to someone else on one particular occasion.Espically when at the time I didn't want to sell period.

My situation is not like Carlos,my life is not threatened,I'm just temporairly out of service,going under repair and have to cover the bills until this curve ball issue gets resolved.

Very Kindly,I thank you guys.

Robert

• Again I have to put my 2 pennies worth in. Being one of the newbies here, this thread says a lot. What a high class group of people you all are. Not having ever seen a post or knowing who Rob is, I too would like to help the cause. The replys from you guys is really heart felt and such a great show of sincerity. You all should be proud of your actions and offers.
    Happy Holidays, to a great group of givers.
    Jeff
    Just Started The "63" Set In 8 & Up.
    All Help Is Needed And Apprciated!
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    ROB - At least can I buy you a Pepe's pie? Bring it down here and I'll gladly reimburse you for the pies. Don't worry I got plaenty of beverages here imageimage ...jay
  • thecommoncard...

You now know the "true" meaning of the PSA Set Registry.

Welcome to the boards.......

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    RobE has been a great asset to my collection. He has pointed me in the direction of a few cards on eBay, sold me some of his dupes at nice costs, and has been a class act all around.

I will be happy to donate what I can. Let me know.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards

• << <i>RobE has been a great asset to my collection. He has pointed me in the direction of a few cards on eBay, sold me some of his dupes at nice costs, and has been a class act all around.

I will be happy to donate what I can. Let me know. >>

Neal,

I couldn't agree more! I know of a few cards in that set that I'll be going after when they hit the market. image

Rob,

Best of luck with your sale of the cards. I hope to see you back on top of the set in no time.

As always, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

JEB.
    Peeps,please don't look at this wrong,like a meat cake session or a life threatening thing that needs what Carlos needed.I don't hold a candle to a guy like that in the hobby,he's a hobby icon.

Just hoping once these cards are cut loose, they are used productively by making it back into someone else's collection on the Registry.In a few cases I know where some will wind up and that makes me happy.On Monday,I'm going to meet the collector who is taking the #1 card and it's going back on the Registry.Right now,to me, things like this are what is to look forward to.

Only set that can't be retired is the Red Sox Team which is something like 86.21% complete.Only 4 cards needed.Yankees and Pirates need 2 each and Angels needs 1.I believe sitting here are quite a few raw Ed Otts that are of 8 and above quality among a few other raw commons maybe about 100 or so.
    Anybody has a question about a card or anything,I'll do my best to answer them if a scan can't.

Jeb,Pepe? or Bucks? image

Jay,in time life will settle and once again situate where a road trip will be involved,along with a couple Pepe's pies delivered from Wooster St New Haven to Littlestown.Hope you have a oven to do some reheating.image Never known anyone who wanted to eat a Pepe's pie cold.image

• I'm getting hungry! I still plan to take you up on this offer, Rob.

JEB.
    ROB - Your welcome here, with or without the PEPE's, but make sure its "with".
    Just think I can give you a tour of the Gettysburg battlefield, then we reheat the pies (yes I have an oven) pour a cold one and talk sports & cards. That sounds tasty...jay

<< <i>ROB - Your welcome here, with or without the PEPE's, but make sure its "with".
    Just think I can give you a tour of the Gettysburg battlefield, then we reheat the pies (yes I have an oven) pour a cold one and talk sports & cards. That sounds tasty...jay >>

Jay,you see....you got the order all screwed up.

Get to you and have a cold one RIGHT AWAY(If you've ever been on I 80 it's like the eternal highway from HELL),then go to Gettysburg,work up an appetite,pour another cold one and then talk cards.image

Maybe my next trip to the Windy City this will take place.

<< <i>Maybe my next trip to the Windy City this will take place. >>

ROB - Its windy as hell right now, so I guess I'll see you shortly image ...jay
  • Rob,

I really wish you didn't have to sell your set. I remember when I first learned of PSA, I saw your set on the Registry and told myself I'm going to build a 1980 Topps set. My wife gave me a different idea but your set is what got me interested in graded cards. If your cards regrettably hit eBay, count on me to bid on a certain team.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Rob,

Sorry to see you give this one up. Let us know your next quest and maybe we can start donating some cards to get you started since you won't take our $$. If not, I'd be happy to send cash or donate an unopened box of 1980 wax packs so you can start all over again.

Just say the word. You've always been there to help me out...I'd love to do the same when you're ready.

Heal quickly and inexpensively!!

Tom
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
    Eric,Tom,Jay,Neal and everyone else....Thanks for the kind words,gestures,emails and PMs.It's nice to know there are some wonderful people in the hobby who offer to go above and beyond the call of duty to fellow collectors.Your all too kind.I look forward to sharing some nice cards from the set with you.

Lately,I'm thinking back to the start of building the set asking Jay if I should register it.I felt shy about it and Jay encouraged me to go fourth explaining the benefits of the registry which I did but kept a low profile.It was great to get emails for help and people from God knows where expressing how happy they were someone was taking the set as far as it was.Even some funny ones came my way.

When I picked up my Quisenberry rookie from Teddys ball game I had an opportunity to speak with Dan Chang.He asked me "why that set???" said it was impossible,hardly any cards graded and I should move onto something else etc..When I explained that it was my favorite set as a kid he didn't understand,but I guess personal interests in a set were not understood by him since he's more familliar with older material.

Suddenly,I hooked up with Steve Creason (PurelyPSA),an employee of Steve Hart(I can't recall his name at the moment) and Chris Miltenberger.All of these guys were submitting 1980 Topps and helping me get the ball rolling at the very begining.Chris submitted strictly to get PSA 10s and never got one although his 9 results were overwhelming and his cards were very hi end.As well,Creason who was a conservative submitter himself wound up with a few 10s which reside in my set like Roy White,Jerry White, Steve Swisher and Dave Parker,All of which are pretty nice cards.

Mr.Creason also hooked me up with a Johnny Bench in a 9.For the longest time it was the only Bench 9 in the entire 1980 Registry.Only recently,that card has been upgraded and passed onto a new member of the registry who is a Bench collector.It was replaced by a beautiful DSL Bench 10 and the other Bench 10 was picked up by DSL for my awesome collecting friend JeffVN who is the biggest Reds hound I've ever run into.

Other people whom I forgot to mention like Luke Browning Mr.77 cloth stickers (LBJ).Luke approached JeffVN and myself with some nice cards on some deals.The Dodgers team and the Louis Tiant are a couple that he was lucky to get from his submissions and I'm pleased to have in the set.

Then you have a couple deals which took place with Steve Hart and Brucemo where Jeff and I rounded up other setbuilders to gather large quantities of cards we distributed amongst ourselves.I remember looking through the many BBC invoices with Jeff to see the first serious population explosion of 9s and about fortysomething 10s to boot.Cards were flying all over the place, being traded,swapped,upgraded and coming here first where I packed and distributed to all involved.We made it easy for Mr.Hart - 1 payment 1 ship each round.

At the time I wasn't interested in PSA 10s but wanted to at least take a look at them before they were shipped off to Chris Milty in trade backs for his 9s.Eventually,Chris was frustrated with his submissions never warranting a 10 as conservative of a grader as he was.Eventually about 85% of those Gems made their way back to me on a graduall basis.The final deal that took place was shared with Dave Jacobs and myself.Since then, I have not heard from Chris despite an occasional phone call,or email.If anyone knows him please tell him I've been asking for him.

Anyhow,anybody who attempts to build this set.The toughest cards which come to mind are # 6 Unser, 127 Thomasson, 140 Gossage, 148 Sanguillen, 292 Berra,Variation 387 Fred Stanley name in Yellow, 451 Indians team, 577 Blue Jays team.

The Unser like most Hilghlight cards seems to be the beast of the group with the worst tilt of all 6.I've never seen a 127 Thomasson with good top to bottom centering either.The 140 Gossage I'm not sure if it's dirt on the uniform under the Yankee Flag making the white letters have brown spots,or if that's a PD issue.148 Manny - forget it,total disaster.292 Berra and 577 B Jays look like someone smeared pink lipstick on them plus they have Godawful centering.Indians centering,387 Yellow letters is an early print run of the card which I'm to understand was so bad they reissued the card.Never seen one of those but desire to in any condition.

If anyone has any info on the set like - who was the designer or something,I've tried to research it but no information was ever located.

Sorry about the long post folks but thanks for allowing me to stroll down memory lane. image

• Rob,

Great story and I enjoyed your wealth of info and the phone calls on the set. Some things have to be done and I'm one that knows where you stand so kudos to you for your vast effort.

And yes were still on Gator took a turn for the better last night and you've been emailed.

Lets all give this collector a hand. image

Gator
  • Rob truly is a class act.

He had to drag me into the 1980 set (and then continuously beat my regular and Reds Team sets with his own) and into visiting these boards. Hind sight is, of course, 20/20, and it turned out to be a good expierience. I know his recent situation will not keep him down long, and that we can expect him to "hang in" on both the hobby and the boards.

Rob - if you need anything give me a call.

JeffVN

I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Rob's post is a great reminder of the love we should all display for collecting cards. Personally, it's too easy at times to get caught up ina all the other aspects that weren't part of collecting when I was a kid.
    Big things happening today.

Kissing goodbye 2 keys to the set,one of which is a VERY important card and a pre congrats to you Jeff as your 80 Reds team will be upgraded and completed.You will have no problem passing my set with your GPA alone due to the Conception and Foster.

Matt,I think our thing is the most heartbreaking.It's not because those are key cards it's because that's my team besides some of the rarest and best examples of that team.

David,when Castaldi had his set up it was titled "Memories of a 10 year old kid"Mikey and I are the same age and in 1980 was my second year of my 6 year baseball career.image

1980 was the first year that this 10 year old kid was acquiring baseball cards with his own earnings,our team went 13-2 and I worked at the refreshment stands on our teams off days.We used to have a tip jar since we didn't get paid, I always bought sinckers and some packs with my share of tips.The end of the season,the league gave me a box a snickers and the last partial opened vending case of boxes for working there.I reacted with the same excitement the kid next door gets when I find a Jeter card in my modern collection to give to him.It's like I handed him a million dollar bill.

Just reading Mike's comments made all this come back to mind.I sold off all the 80 cards from 1980 and other parts of my collection to get cracking on this set which went as far as it has.

I wasn't thinking of hi grades,or centering until the set was under way.The set was started in 2002.In2001,for the first time,I discovered graded cards,so this set was the first real experience with that part of collecting none of us were thinking about 24 year ago.It was a pleasure to experience this part of collecting with this set.
  • Rob is an example of everything that's right with the hobby. This thread should be saved and brought out whenever the board seems to be getting too cynical. Best of luck, my man.

Steve
    You too Steve.It's always been a pleasure to deal with you,every step of the way.During the period that you and I were working back and fourth, I sent a lot of friends to you who had highest remarks in everything from material as well as buying from you.Good luck with your hand situation too,I hope it's nothing serious.Hopefully it's just Carpal Tunnel and not MS like you suspect.Please keep me posted,your too young and your family needs ya as well as the hobby.image

On a bittersweet note, so far, this is what happened with prior commitments....

Card # 1 and 720 went to Doug Rivard.Doug is a class act.It was great to meet him and shoot the breeze about cards.I'm glad to know those cards will make there way back onto the registry in such an active member's collection.I think he was happy with the cards too,I gave him the opportunity to pass.He said "No way,I'm taking them and in my collection they'll be forever."image You know what his reply was to my saying that if he ever wished to sell back to me.image

Other things which took place - The biggest New York Mets registry collector decided to take just about all Mets cards.I take it he is the guy who requested those umpteen million Mets team sets.

And last but not least,a hardcore Cult following Dave Kingman collector was promised that he would have first crack at my 240.I sent him the link to request a player set so you can expect in the nearby future to see that set requested.

• Steve,

I hope it's not MS either. If it turns out to be that way please feel free to call on me. My 68 year old father has MS going on 18 years now. Since my mother passed away last year my father now lives with my father and we take care of him on a full-time basis. He has a rather severe case and is confined to wheel chair. The good news is they've come along way since he started with the disease and it appears some drugs can halt it's progression. We know and aweful lot about the disease and the drugs. If you need us say the word. But hopefully things turn out fine. Stay positive and good luck.

Tom
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"