Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A little help with a Japanese 1 Sen please

I'm trying to decipher this coin but my Krause isn't much help (satootoko didn't you have a thread on understanding these - I searched but couldn't find it):

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Options
    Looks like Y-17.1, year 10 (1877) to me.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Actually, M10 was the last year of #17.1. The distinction is the shape of the dragon's scales. On 17.1 they are square and on 17.2 (which was first minted in M13 according to all the authorities) they are "V" shaped. Your scan is very dark, but from what I can see the scales are square.

If they are "V"s, you have either an extremely valuable piece, or a fake. Modern Japanese Coinage, 2d Ed. by Cummings states that unlike the 1/2 sen piece which has both versions in M10, the transition year, the 1 sen only has square scales.

The JNDA catalog value range in lower grades is ¥150-2,000 (~$1.35-18.00). Krause is only $1-2. The huge disparity so common in Krause and JNDA valuations is really strong here: Unc. valuations are $1.50 and ¥40,000 (~$365)!

The obverse legends (read right to left) are "Great Japan" and the date. The reverse legend says "One hundred pieces in exchange for one yen".
    Roy

• Options
    email that pic to the guy who runs this website. He's a guy I know in here in Japan (an American) and he could probably help you out too. But, looks like you got some good answers.
    He also sells slabbed Japanese coins that you'll see on his web page if you visit it. image
    He also sells the 2003 JNDA Catalog (Japanesse Red Book)
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Roy, excellent information!!!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson