Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1824-M French Fr. -- EDIT = SOLD $123.50

This is probably an SSP since it's a link to one of my auctions, but I'm interested in what I've got here (if anything).

My Krause says $25 Fine.... Is it just two over enthusiastic collectors...?

Link to 1824 Fr..

Comments

• Options
    Looks like you've got two guys trying to fill the same hole in their collection... image Good for you, not so smart for them I think. LeFranc website says the mintage on this was 1,587,500 and gave middling quotations, not overly common but not rare either. Go figure. image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Vern
    That's what I thought.... Both look clean bidders.... one Belgian and the other French....

But I'm sure one of the forum members will snipe them for $351.03 image

Lloyd
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that they're overpaying for this coin. We all know how often Krause lists absurd prices.

A nice surprise for a no-reserve $0.01 auction,right Lloyd? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Bidders on e-bay from the country of origin of the coin are often much stronger than book. I have run into this time and time again recently and have backed off coins I really wanted, especially the French ones.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Well, it's true I've been surprised before by just that sort of thing. And it could be my prejudice against poor old Louis XVIII showing through... image Still, while it's a nice example and has great photos to boot it seems like just another decent hunk of silver, not too rare, not too common. So why this piece and not another? I've often picked up 5 franc pieces in similar shape for not much more than melt.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Every day that goes by adds 1000's of potential bidders worldwide to E-bay for certain coins. Like we've said before, a particular coin may not be scarce but try to find it! All it takes is a couple of bidders on the same coin (as you said elverno) to drive the price up. I've been there, paid too much and then began following Aethelred's advice which stated-"these coins come around again periodically-there'll be more".
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato