Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1879 UK 1/2 Penny, Broken 8, is this an error? Pic's added

1879 UK 1/2 Penny, Broken 8, is this an error? Kind of cool looking.
Thanks,
Glenn

Comments

• Options
    not listed in Spink or Coinraft's. I'll check the Peck tomorrow and get back to you if no one else does. Looks broken to me. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I think it might be due to a post-minting process, in other words not a mint error but a damaged coin. But maybe not!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.

Great photos, BTW.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks Lordmarcovan, I'm using a Coin Scope at 50x.
    This coin is really bugging me! I remember something about an open 8 coin, but I think it was Canadian.
    Glenn
  • Options
    There is an open topped 8 on an 1880 farthing which is recorded but that is a uniform die break. This 79 looks like something got into the die.... there is no listing in Peck. Your only chance would be to get someone with a copy of Bramah and see if there is actually a die listed which has this characteristic. I have never seen it before mind you, and i collect these. I know for a fact it isn't recorded in the main stuff...

I think I may know someone who could check it in Bramah.

I'd love to see the whole coin!!

Lloyd
  • Options
    By the way ------ whats a "Coin Scope" ?

L
  • Options
    Hi
    Just had a reply back -

"not listed - something went wrong with the strike"

it's an error coin and there should be someone who would pay...

L
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember something about an open 8 coin, but I think it was Canadian >>

Or maybe you were remembering one of your own recent threads?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Lordmarcovan, I'm using a Coin Scope at 50x.
    This coin is really bugging me! I remember something about an open 8 coin, but I think it was Canadian.
    Glenn >>

Me too, what is a coin scope?

Glenn
  • Options
    New pictures. Below is a link to COINSCOPE!
    And Coinscope!
  • Options
    Thanks........ image
  • Options
    image Now I want one!!
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    BINGO! lordmarcovan, Open 8 Mexican coin! That's what made me think of this one.
    Glenn