Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need some identification help

Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Can you provide a little more info such as diameter, weight and composition? Unfortunately the most important parts of the legend are the most illegible in the scan, can you throw out an idea as to what the obverse legend reads after 'MO NOVA' as that should be the city/province name.

So far I'm guessing a Swiss Canton of some sort.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks quite similar to one I just sold:

Hmm. Bizarro. I posted an image and NOTHING shows... not even a red X!

Anyway, it was a 1710 Swiss 1-bluzger piece from Chur. And it had that same cross.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    The size is approximately that of a dime and I don't have a scale handy to weigh it, but it is very light. I'm guessing it's silver but I don't know what the composition is until I identify it.

My best guess for obverse legend: * RETIC * MONOVA * ONCIAE
    Reverse: * 1728 * DOMINI * ??? * REGNVM
  • Options
    I had the picture of mine deleted on Andale, but just restored it. Maybe that is why it isn't displaying. Maybe it'll show up eventually.

Anyway, you certainly have a Swiss minor coin, probably struck in billon (copper with a little silver in it).

Could be a kreuzer or a bluzger or something else with a strange-sounding name.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    LordM hit it on the head:

It's from the City of Chur (as opposed to Bishopric). 1728, Billon 1 Bluzger, Obv: Chur city arms with Ibex pictured in city gates. Leg: MON.NOVA.CVRIAE.RETIC Rx.: Cross in circle. Leg: DOMINI.EST.REGNVM; date divided by *

Divo/Tobler 'Die Munzen der Schweiz' #912; KM #263.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well, here's a thumbnail of it... a better picture than some of the ones you see on eBay, right? imageimage

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    You guys are awesome! I have had this coin for over 10 years and could never figure out where to start looking. At one point, someone told me it was a German coin. So I guess that took me off the path... Anyway, it's great to have a mystery solved! Thanks!

Neil