Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: K-27 & K-151

Here are a couple more Goetz coming my way from Germany. K-27 medal is 80mm and K-151 is 85mm. Will provide more images upon their arrival.

Opus 27 EMPEROR WILHELM II 25th Anniversary as ruler of Germany

Opus 151 CROWN PRINCE WILHELM OF GERMANY with young Siegfried

Comments

• Options
    Nice ones. I need the Wilhelm II one. At least now I know you got yours and won't be any competition for it anymore.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    I'll keep my eyes open for you...as noted, this one is an 80mm cast piece. There were also 50mm cast pieces and 50mm struck pieces. I've never seen another of the 80mm pieces like this which goes to show that they are much more difficult to obtain...much spendier tooimage
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice, can you explain the meaning of the naked guy hacking at the Dogs with a sword.imageimage
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Somewhat sly portrait of Wilhelm on the obverse showing him in Prussian Hussar's uniform and on the reverse as a mythical Germanic warrior wielding a huge ancient war sword against a hydra-headed dragon with the heads of a Unicorn (England), a Rooster (France), a Bear (Russia) and a skraggly Lion (Belgium). Very famous WW.1 medal. Popular because of the write up it got by the great British numismatist & curator G.H.Hill during WW.1 in his monograph on Germany's use of propaganda medals during wartime.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    More nice medals, and thanks for the background info!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    As usual, your photography is stunning.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Once again - it's green eye time for the rest of us! Those are really nice.
    Shep
  • Options
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Was the lack of clothing due to the idealistic view of the male they wished to portray? Goetz seems to do a fair amount of unclothed male heroic figures...
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Laurent, it's really more a European thing. Classical art was pretty popular at the time. Germany and the Nordic states, however, were more apt to portray "explicit" nudes. You may have noticed that despite the popularity of nude women on medals, their pubic areas were "undetailed" in most countries, but more "unabashedly" rendered in Nordic nations. Furthermore, in Germany it seems that the relative popularity of male nudes compared to female nudes was higher than elsewhere, at least in medallic art. Obviously it signifies virility and the ancient German warriors (as did the Celts) often went into battle naked but for their weapon.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Those are both really nice - wish I had the bucks to snag a few of those!!! image
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'