Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

SCD to PSA crossovers

Has anyone had much experience with crossing SCD graded cards to PSA? Do they generally line up 8/8, 9/9? What about SCD's 1/2 grades? Are they conservative or do they often jump up with the switch to PSA?

Comments

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I have had good luck with SCD crossovers. I had a 61-62 Fleer Bob Pettit that was an SCD 7 (apparently because of being off-center on the back) jump to a PSA 8. Also, a Moses Malone rookie jumped from an SCD 8 to a PSA 9. My SCD 7.5's have crossed to PSA 7's. I have probably crossed about 10 cards, so not a big sample, but I have been happy with the results. Check the subgrades before you submit. I think SCD is pretty consistent but sometimes their centering grade is a bit puzzling.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Albie,

Did you break them out of the holders or submit with the card still slabbed?

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    Alan,
    The cards that went up a grade were all cracked out and submitted. All of the cards I have submitted using the crossover service have come back the same or half a grade lower. I also have cracked out cards and have them come back the same grade or 1/2 grade lower. I broke out an SCD 7.5 1957 Basketball common that I thought had a real good shot at an 8 but it came back a 7. The only card I was dissapointed in was a Rick Barry rookie that was an SCD 7.5 that looked great. I submitted the card through the crossover service and got a 7. I have thought about breaking the card out to re-submit it but it is not a high value card and simply for my collection so I doubt I will do it.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about crossovers from SGC to PSA on T206's?

I have two Mathewson SGC 50's and a Cobb SGC 40 that I would like to crossover to PSA. I'm pretty confident that the Mathewson's would crossover to PSA 4 (judging by my other PSA 4 T206's), but I'm not sure about the Cobb (bat on shoulder). To me it's a low end 3 and I could see it going down to a PSA 2. It's on a par with some of my other PSA 3's, but it's just too close for me to tell for sure.

Should I send them to PSA still slabbed by SGC, or should I break them out and send them to PSA raw?

Steve
  • Options
    SDSportsFan - Do the SGC cards have one number or two? I think they would have a better chance of crossing if they were the newer labels.
    Although there have been quite a few posts on this topic suggesting you are better to crack the cards out first, you might want to first try the crossover service with a minimum grade. The worst case scenario is your cards come back to you in SGC holders with the same grade. Check the thread started by Griffens - he posted his crossovers for last year and the SGC - PSA grades were pretty consistent.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aro13, Thanks for the heads-up and the pointers. My SGC T206's are the newer holders with both grade scales. I checked Griffins' thread and I agree, the grades do look pretty consistent for the most part.

I think I'll go ahead and take your advice and send them in to PSA in the SGC holders first. If they don't crossover, then I'll think about cracking them out.

Steve