Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

eBay Seller Beef

Is it just me, or does anyone find it strange that people list multiple cards from the same set and graded condition, but then use no rhyme or reason to placing them in numerical order. Is there something I'm missing? Is that some kind of selling strategy that I'm not aware of or is listing cards in order that difficult? I know that I have missed bidding on cards in the past when I have accidentally skipped over ones that I needed when sellers listed this way. There is a seller that listed a bunch of 1975 Topps cards today and the first five numbers are 10, 531, 34, 319 and 96. I just don't get it.

Comments

• Options
    I can't explain that, but most sellers do list in numerical order. Just check out my '75 set if you don't believe me. I search for '75s very infrequently and, when I do, I end up sniping the first ones that come up in the search (i.e. lower card numbers). My set is very unbalanced because of this. I need a much higher % of the high number cards to complete my set. Luckily, this set is not a priority, and I plan to eventually complete the entire set in PSA 8 or better at less than the cost of grading each card. image

JEB.
  • Options
    With some software services, if you load them and don't properly space them apart, the system loads them all at once, and sets them out randomly.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    hah.
    i just realized i've been doing it on my '74 deckles.
    ...and the set was in order not so long ago

How will I sleep knowing Vargie's gonna blow a gasket ?
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    There aren't any good gaskets remaining. Sleep well.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

I use Vendio....and they only have 5 minute increments. I enter the cards in nummerical order but they post on eBay randomly. It frustrates me as well.
  • Options
    Vargha,

I've recently noticed that if you list items and pay the extra 10 cents to have them start at a particuar time, this occurs. I diligently input all my cards in numeric order, only to see them get listed in random order. Funny thing is, this only seems to have started recently.

Thanks,
    The53Kid
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    One explanation I've noticed is that Turbo Lister from eBay places the listings alphabetically rather than numerically so you get a sequence like 10, 134, 154, 20, 256, 33, 362, 4, etc. You could correct this by putting zeroes into the single and double digit numbers - 004, 010, 020, 033 - but then if people are searching by card #, the search engine wouldn't catch them.
    So I guess you're stuck with an order that's not quite random ...
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???
  • Options
    Who said, "Baseball card collectors are anal?"
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    The cards I collect, I always have a checklist, so if cards are listed out of order its no big deal to me. My problem lies with sellers who do not list the card # at all. Then I have to view the scan and see if its a number I need. We all know if we need the Mantle's & Mays cards, but its those damn Danny Caters & Dave Nicholson's that you forget...jay
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    toppsgun -- It makes it a pain to find card needs sometimes and is a royal pain when tracking prices realized. It's not a big deal, but an annoyance that I could never figure out. The listing software issues certainly explain some of the circumstances.

Jay -- I keep lists as well, but when skipping back and forth on listings, I occasionally miss certain cards.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    If it's a bunch of listings created by some sort of automatic system, like ebay's timed start thing, then it probably isn't really random, it's based on some sort of order that's only really discernible on the machine level, which gives a very good imitation of randomness. I don't know why that is, it's a quirk of computers that has to be accounted for and built around. It's like when you load a web page and things are downloaded and images appear in an apparently random fashion. It's not random, it just looks that way.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay