Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Pop 6 1951-P Lincoln MS-67RD in Teletrade tonight

I finally learned to "just say no". I just sat and watched it go to around $4400 ($4840 w/ BP), although it probably went higher in the last few minutes.

Comments

• Options

I've had to pull my horns in as I have watched the pops slowly rise over the past few months.
  • Options

OOPS, $4400 was the next bid, it ended up selling for $4300 ($4730 w/ BP). Not too bad for pop 6, for nowimage
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had to pull my horns in as I have watched the pops slowly rise over the past few months.

That's absolutely right. Quality P and D specimens in the 1950s will always be hard to come by, but people are searching rolls and submitting like crazy now. Pops are not going to balloon, but are sure to rise.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craig: Good points. image

But, I believe you had a slightly unique situation - did you not? You put off buying the key date Wash quarters until the end, while heavily focusing on MS68 specimens. For example, coins like the 32(d) have skyrocketed in the past couple years. Even semi-key early dates like the 36(d) are up roughly 50% in top grade over the past 12-18 months best I can tell. And, neat late date MS67 coins are way up as well. For example, I had the 1961(p) in MS67 (pop 2) on ebay a few years ago at just over $6,000. It just sold in NY for close to $10,000. Same for the 63(d) and 60(p). I originally sold that 60(p) for somewhere between $2k-$3k a couple years ago as I recall - it just sold for more than 2x that amount in NY. On the other hand, is a common date MS67 coin worth $20,000 in MS68 like it was at the beginning of the year - of course not. But, you know I have not been a player on those common date MS68 coins for more than a year now. Also, variety quarters are starting to move. A MS63 1937DDO just sold for at least $14,000 and I just acquired an MS66 of the date at a value placed on the coin higher than the price I paid for any other Wash quarter in my entire collection. So, having a diversified position in Wash quarters (including a nice % of key date and semi-key date coins) I believe has resulted in a better situation, as the pops on more common coins rise and prices on those examples fall. image

Wondercoin

P.S. I should mention though that I have personally been comfortable of late adding selected dates to my inventory at the "lower" prices. The goal is to "buy low and sell high" in theory at least
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    "It is becoming very easy to move rapidly up the registry. I venture to say a person could be in first place within 2 months if they had the $$$."

Craig: With no disrespect intended for any of the other sets out there, only current #1, 2, 3 or 29 could probably move into first by early next year absent one of these 4 collectors selling out entirely IMHO. Of course, "Bill Gates" could call me or you and buy us both out tomorrow - but, realistically speaking there are (4) powerhouse collections I am personally aware of that could move to #1 by early next year. Cost - SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS -

ROADMAP - (A) BUY THE POP 3 1932(s) IN PCGS-MS66 COMING UP IN THE FUN SUPERIOR SALE; (B) BUY THE POP 1 1934(d) IN PCGS-MS67 COMING UP IN THE FUN SUPERIOR SALE; (C) BUY THE POP 1 1961(d) IN PCGS-MS67 COMING UP IN THE FUN SUPERIOR SALE; (D) BUY THE POP 1 1962(d) IN PCGS-MS67 COMING UP IN THE FUN SUPERIOR SALE. SPEND THE CHANGE LEFT OVER FROM THE SECOND HUNDRED THOUSAND BUYING A FEW MORE LOWER POP COINS ALSO WHICH WILL APPEAR IN THE FUN SALES. PRESTO- "WALLA" - $200,000 LATER EITHER #1,2,3,29 WOULD LOCK UP FIRST PLACE FOR THE TIME BEING IMHO.

TO ANYONE ELSE STARTING OUT - SET ASIDE $500,000 AS WE ARE TALKING ABOUT AN 83 COIN "CLASSIC" COLLECTION (WITHOUT VARIETIES)- I SIMPLY DON'T SEE ANYONE HAVING A LEGITIMATE CHANCE OF LOCKING UP THE #1 SLOT WITHOUT THE ROUGHLY $500,000+ OUTLAY. DO YOU? image

WONDERCOIN
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    "Mitch obviously you dont need to answer but did you win any of those coins in the early 1960's in N.Y.?"

Craig: I was outbid on every one of the late date coins we have been discussing. Well, not exactly "outbid", because the bidding was so fierce, I could not even get a bid in before most or all of those coins exceeded my max bid anyway. I was prepared to pay well over the levels where I offered the coins out 3 years ago - they simply exceeded those levels by a bit. Fact, not hype. And, I was surprised by the high levels the coins fetched because there were at least (2) collectors/dealers bidding for each of the coins, best I could tell.

Also, I wasn't questioning how many MS68 coins you own (or your strategy)- I was simply pointing out the ratio between cash outlay for MS68's vs. cash outlay for keys/early semi-keys may have been high with respect to MS68's best I knew (i.e. $$$ wise, not ## wise). Perhaps I was wrong.

Wondercoin

P.S. PM sent on the 61(d)