Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How Can I learn how to grade superb gem (ms67,68,69) coins? (Specifically Lincoln Memorial Cents.)

I bought a bunch of rolls of memorial cents, but am not interested in submitting coins for grading for several reasons, the cost of grading fees, the possibility I would get too low of grades due to my own lack of grading knowledge, or even (the rumored) possibilty I just wouldn't get fair grades due to being a collector and not a large dealer. However I would like to know what I have in my collection, and of course I would always like to learn as much as I can about coins and grading.

Anyone willing to answer some specific questions I have...
1) Say if the OF in United Sates of America is just slightly weak, how much will that hurt the grade, or what is the max grade the coin could get?
2) Why is 97-P have such a low pop in ms67,68... how much are these worth? Would a coin with one tiny barely visible tick near the T in CENT, and no flaws to the naked eye otherwise (2 more tiny ticks on the portrait with 10x magnification) have a chance at ms68?
3) Sometimes the Zinc cents have little "bubbles" in the surface? These certainly seem to hurt eye appeal and so should seem to hurt the grade, but by how much? Do they hurt it by as much as a tick?
4) Would a 79-P with no visible flaws but a satiny luster (almost want to say subdued, but not really), rather than a blazing luster, have any chance at ms67? ms66?
5) Just in general, how nice does any coin 1959-1981 have to be to be ms67? (1960 sd,1974-p are my nicest two). How nice does a coin 1982-2003 have to be to be ms68? ms69? (1997 is my nicest so far!)

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    haletj,
    I am certainly no expert in grading. I do love Lincoln cents. My comment to you would be to attend some coin shows and examine PCGS and NGC Lincolns that have been graded. Don't get "hung up" over the grade! More to the point. If you are collecting Lincoln Memorials for the purpose of having a complete "nice looking" set from 1959-2003, fine. Some of those dates will be hard to get in super condition. If you are collecting Memorials only to get the super grades of MS67-69 for the purpose of selling them and making a nice profit, I'm afraid you wouldn't want my advise. Good luck to you anyway. Steveimage
  • Options
    Hi haletj,

You should check out some of coppercoins Lincoln grading days. I believe his technique superior to that used by PCGS. That said, I'll give you my thoughts.

Lincoln grades are almost exclusively based on obverse at PCGS, unless there are severe reverse problems. If a Lincoln was borderline, the reverse might become the deciding factor for the grade.

1) strike weakness is prevalent isn some years. max deduction 1 point, most likely, for reverse only weakness. max grade comes from the obverse
    2) can't help much with low pop reasons, I've not search many 97's. a reverse tic is better than an obverse but tics in the portrait are keys. most likely a ms67.
    3) tiny bubble in the zinc coating are not supposed to effect the grade.
    4) eye appeal seems to be the key to current PCGS Lincoln grades. I spread a couple rolls out on a towel, obverse up, and anything that grabs my eye probably has enough eye appeal for PCGS. the luster is definitely different for copper vs zinc. I keep a second set with lower grades but what I consider more eye appeal.
    5) Lincolns from the 60's have terrible strike because of poor dies. strike quality can easily be seen in the reverse. 70's strikes are spotty, there are as many good year/mint conbinations as poor ones. I believe the copper cents with eye appeal are more attractive than the zinc MS69's. I've never seen one of the pre 1982 MS68's though.

perfectstrike
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Thanks perfectstrike!

Thanks Steve also. Yes I am trying to put together a set that just looks as nice as possible, but I do want all coins to be technically gem, or maybe even technically ms66 for 59-82 and ms67 for 83-03. Of course I can't help but wonder though if I have something worth a lot like an ms67 1960 sd or an ms68 1997. If I did then I would prefer to sell it and use the money for more early Lincolns! As I mentioned though I'm not a big fan of grading services and don't want to spend the money on fees unless I would get the grade I wanted. Yeah, I really need to start attending shows and look at coins, but I have a limited ability to travel.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "How Can I learn how to grade superb gem (ms67,68,69) coins? (Specifically Lincoln Memorial Cents.)"

That one is easy to answer - start by bringing me a pile of MS70 coins image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take the plunge,as we all did,grade as maney rolls as you can afford,send them in and believe me you will learn real quick .There is no easy way,when you have graded about $1,000 worth of lincolns you should have it down.Or send them 67 to meimage
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

check out my collection !!! I have some of each grade

Stewart Blay
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    Spend alot of money on grading fees and learn from your mistakes!! That's how most people here learn. I have learned to first look at the reverse of Lincoln Mem's. If the steps aren't well defined and especially well defined on the bottom step they go in the coin jar. I don't even look at the obverse anymore unless the reverse is premium. That's my 2c.image
  • Options

<< <i>check out my collection !!! I have some of each grade >>

Yeah, ms64 to ms69! I love the pictures of your coins on Shylock's (?) website. But your 26-s wasn't there. I think you should try to trade your ms69 1919 for the ms65 1926-s, then your set would be more evenly matched ms65-ms68! (Just kidding though, I'm not really serious!)

BTW learning to grade by spending money on grading fees is exactly what I don't want to do!!! I want to learn first!!!
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    buy yourself a cheap slabbing standard set from eBay

what I mean is, for lower graded coins, you can pick them up for less than slabbing fees

get a couple 63's, 64's, 65's, 66's in PCGS slabs - for Lincoln Memorials if that is your area of interest

not sure on obverse when they made a new Lincoln - so you may need a few sets

before - after new hair do
    before - after zinc plated

once you get the lower grades down, start submitting better

you also may have a couple of the 67,68,69s already

look for luster/eye appeal/ marks gl

the bad thing is, depending on date - you will need top scores to cover slabbing fees
    (unless you have PCGS stock or are employed by them - then maybe ok)
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    Most MS67's are cheap so buy several examples. Grading coins is like paying for college. You make an initial investment and hopefully it pays off years later. I also suggest the PCGS grading guide. But it is not a good guide for Modern people. But it will key you in to specific points you need to focus on.
    C.