as much if I were trying to resell. I just wanted the true grade of
the coin.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards!

Do you have a photo?

What do you collect? Are you a Merc head?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3rdeyebullet: Welcome aboard!

The 1916-D merc dime in any grade slabbed by PCGS or NGC (or even possibly by ICG) is one of the greatest coins in all of numismatics.

Aside from that, I am not sure what is your question?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    HI fcloud-

I collect alot of key dates,I just started collecting higher grade morgans.
  • Options
    Do you collect raw, certified or both?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Thanks guys for the welcoming

Well I guess my question is what would you rather have the PCI G-4
    or the PCGS AG-3.I guess it would probally come down to if you wanted
    to sell the coin what would have more marketability a higher grade PCI
    or lower grade PCGS

Just making sure I did the right thing

Thanks
  • Options
    actually right now fcloud I purchase certified key dates,but I will
    definatley purchase raw if I'am working on a set.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3rdeyebullet: You did the right thing. You put the coin which is the bluest of blue chip coins from a suspect grading service into a blue chip grading service. Sounds like without the pics that the only reason the coin is not in G-4 is honest wear.

It is amazing to collectors such as ourselves how our predecessors allowed that coin to circulate so long!!image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    well put oreville that's how I looked at the situation.
  • Options
    You asked which would we rather have, a PCI G4 or a PCGS AG3. Personally, I would prefer the PCGS AG3. My reason is that I have the utmost faith in the ability of PCGS to fairly grade Mercury Dimes. That and a 16D deserves better than a PCI slab.image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    BTW, welcome to the forums. Hope to see you posting lots. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    I would also have a wee bit more confidence in the authenticity if it was in a PCGS, NGC or ANACS slab.

(Can we still say 'wee'?) image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum. Here's a full band welcome for ya.image

I would rather have a PCGS or NGC AG3 16D anyday. You also have to consider that a legitimate service like PCGS or NGC will stand behind the guarantee of authenticity better than any axis of evil service.
    The coin will also be far more liquid in the event that you want to upgrade in the future.
    Please don't hesitate to ask future questions, for this is a great place. Enjoy the hobby.
  • Options
    I agree with the crowd here it is easier to sell a PCGS 3 than a PCI 4. You would get the same amount of money for either. PCGS grades seem to be tougher than the other companies on Mercury Dimes.

• Options
    Welcome aboard. Include me on the list of those who think you did the right thing. Depending on how far back you purchased it, it's probably worth more as an AG-3 today than a G-4 a few years ago anyway.
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    PCI G4 or PCGS AG3, it's still the same coin. The difference is that now it has been confirmed as having no problems.
  • Options
    You're better off with it in the PCGS holder.

Welcome!
  • Options

<< <i>Do you collect raw, certified or both? >>

1 Question, what are these anyways, raw and certified
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    You done good!!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is still the same coin, but will be much more marketable in the PCGS Ag-3 holder than in the PCI for all the reasons stated above, and actually should bring as much money if not more if it were to be put up for sale.

good choice
  • Options
    Welcome aboard!
    As long as you're happy with the merc, then that's all that matters. image

Craig
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>1 Question, what are these anyways, raw and certified >>

A certified coin is one that has been examined, graded, and holdered by a third party grading service. A raw coin is a coin that has not been certified by a service. Many people here on the forum (and in the general collecting community) will also consider a coin that has been certified by any third party service other than PCGS, NGC or ANACS to be a raw coin as well. This is because the general concensus is that none of the other services come up to the grading standards used by the three services mentioned.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Why didn't you just buy a mint sewn bag from the mint? Didn't you see they are offering them from the original dies for a limited time at only 3 times face?

TP image
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Welcome aboard! image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    that little fact gets me too.
    how could such a valuable coin get circulated down to such a low low grade.

i guess they werent deemed valuable until it was too late, or fairly recently.
    and to think that no one would have known what moneys these would bring
    in the future?
    what coins are we spending to death now that are going to be little gold mines
    years later i wonder.

1982 coinage? `82 Zincolns? Hope so cause i,m trying to stock up on some of those.
    my ancestors are going to love me.
    unfortunately it will be a post-mortem love for me.
    imageimage
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    You make reference to "the money you lost"...
    What money did you lose??
  • Options
    My opinion is... I want one... and don't have the money... anyone wanna have a giveaway for a 16-D in MS67FB? image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My opinion is... I want one... and don't have the money... anyone wanna have a giveaway for a 16-D in MS67FB? image >>

Sorry, can only offer you a 68FB. But since you only wanted a 67, then can't help ya image

Rgrds
    TP
  • Options
    hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I would also have a wee bit more confidence in the authenticity if it was in a PCGS, NGC or ANACS slab.

This was my thoughts exactly.

The value of these coins change so dramatically between AG-3, G-4, VG-8, etc. that even if the coin is in a PCI holder, if it looks AG, you're only going to get AG money. Even a beginner grader can tell the difference between AG, G, and VG (assuming they have a picture reference book for grading coins, such as the ANA's book).

A picture would be nice, but I'm going to guess that what you have is a boarderline AG-3, G-4 coin (there isn't a grade of AG-3.5) and in the eyes of PCGS, the coin just didn't quite meet the minimum requirements of a G-4. So perhaps you have a high end AG-3, and if so, if and when you go to sell it, that fact will be seen when you get between AG-3 and G-4 money. Again, a picture would be nice, but I bet if you had tried to sell the coin in a PCI G-4 holder, you would have gotten well below the "going rate" of a PCGS G-4.
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Your 16-d, certified by PCGS, in any grade, is a wonderous coin. Cherish it. That is supposedly one of the most counterfeited coins around.
    DSW
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    either svc. could be as far off as the other.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file