Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Mastro Catalog....

It is always a fun day when they arrive in the mail. So many neat, neat cards!!!! (only wish there were more funds to support!)

MS

P.S. Quite a few 54 Wilson Franks for you set fiends out there. Much broader range of top three products in this auction than in prior (e.g. GAI, SGC and PSA all have a good representation)

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

Comments

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Maybe SGC is still paying Derek Grady.
  • Options
    I'm convinced some of those higher end Wilson Franks just get passed around from high end collector to high end collector... us lower end collectors will have to settle for watching them from the sidelines and from the pages of the catalogs we get in the mail!

I was explaining this phenomenon of the 'chase' to my wife yesterday... how many of us are in set building for the 'chase' and often look to new endeavors after we're done with one set. The idea of having high end collectors like Marshall display their sets at a National Convention is very cool. Half the time, all I want to do is buy the card just so I can have it for a little while and then sell it back to the market (mainly b/c I rarely like having a card worth more than 2 grand sitting on my desk at home).

One of the coolest experiences in card collecting that I've ever had was seeing the PSA 8 Wagner in person.

The most expensive card I've ever owned was a PSA 8 Zack Wheat 1915 Cracker Jack card I won in a Sportscards Plus auction a few years back. That card lasted about 3 weeks in my hands before I wanted to let it go. Since then, I've realized that I'm content with the mid grade cards I have since I usually don't have the urge to let them go right away (or at all.)

Anyways, this post was probably meant for its own topic, but I had to chime in after seeing the comment about the Wilson Franks!

PS. Best wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe SGC is still paying Derek Grady. >>

Yes, but they pay in cash.

aconte

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Marc.
    i didn't get mine yet.
    are the wilson's older grades?
    not this group by any chance? Fain 7, Kuenn 7, Richards 7,Sauer 8 Jablonski 8, Fox 8, Slaughter 8, Stephens 8, White 8, Schoendienst 8.

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I thought Wilson Franks were very difficult to find. Now high grade examples seen to appear in every major auction. Why are there so many of these cards turning up?

1954 WILSON FRANKS
    NAME VARIETY 1-2 3-4 5 6 7 7Q 8 8Q 9 9Q TOTAL
    Total: 57 102 66 70 59 18 45 33 5 7 490
    ANDY PAFKO 1 3 1 2 2 1 5 3 0 0 18
    BOB FELLER 2 7 3 7 4 1 3 5 3 0 37
    CARL ERSKINE 0 9 7 6 4 6 1 2 0 0 39
    DEL ENNIS 1 3 2 0 1 1 2 0 0 1 11
    ENOS SLAUGHTER 1 8 3 5 4 0 1 4 0 0 27
    FERRIS FAIN 3 0 2 3 1 1 1 1 0 0 14
    GIL HODGES 5 5 2 4 5 0 2 0 1 0 28
    HANK SAUER 2 4 3 1 1 1 3 0 0 0 18
    HARVEY KUENN 2 5 3 1 1 2 0 0 0 1 17
    JOHNNY GROTH 1 5 2 1 2 0 0 0 0 1 13
    NELSON FOX 3 3 7 3 2 0 2 2 0 0 23
    PAUL RICHARDS 2 1 1 4 3 0 0 0 0 1 13
    RAY JABLONSKI 3 1 1 2 3 1 2 0 0 1 14
    RED SCHOENDIENST 2 4 3 4 2 3 2 3 0 1 25
    ROY CAMPANELLA 7 11 5 6 2 0 3 7 0 0 43
    ROY McMILLAN 2 6 4 2 9 0 5 0 0 0 28
    SAMMY WHITE 0 6 4 3 6 0 6 1 0 1 28
    STAN HACK 5 6 3 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 17
    TED WILLIAMS 12 10 8 14 5 1 5 2 1 0 59
    VERN STEPHENS 3 5 2 2 2 0 2 1 0 0 18
  • Options
    Bought a Sliding Glass Door last night
    Bought 8 new windows this morning
    Bought a new water heater this morning
    Drain pipe in the bathtub rusted out and have to redo the bathroom next month

And now Mastro is selling a slew of Wilsons?!?!

Can I get any more broke?
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Options
    Koby,
    believe me they are hard. but many regionals are rarer although not as desireable to most collectors (they were not a one team, one city issue).
    the prices have also skyrocketed in the past 2 years.
    Everybody who owns them loves them and has been driven to near-insanity chasing them.
    ............. but the lure of easy money may be bringing them back out.
    (with some coaxing from the kind folks at Mastro).

but there really have not been many in the big auctions other than a trickle of Ted Williams in mid-grade holders.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    MS- How did you get your catalog so quickly? They sent me an email a couple of days ago saying that catalog's would be available immediately after the Thanksgiving holiday.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    got mine today also, I think they get shipped out of vermont so they make it to boston quickly, the 2 highlights I saw : 66 baseball 36 pack cellos box and 59 football 36 pack cello boximage
  • Options
    so.......... tell us all about the wilson franks
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Reporting from Ohio....the Mastro Catalogs came in today. The items are off the hook as usual.

Amazing stuff.
  • Options
    Arghhh!! Somebody please post the Wilson Franks!

Just to help out murcer, not that I care or anything...........

Collectable
  • Options
    Okay guys..here is the list.

Ted Williams PSA 8 (featured on its own page...labeled Slendid Weiner)....will your wife care if you hang it up in the office?

Bob Feller PSA 9
    Ted Williams SGC 86
    6 card GAI LOT: GAI 5.5 (Campy and Slaughter), GAI 4.5 (McMillan), GAI 3.5 (Feller and Slaughter), & GAI 2.5 Ted Williams

Thats all I saw....anyone find any other Weiner lots?

• Options
    Thanks John, much appreciated........ now I'll be able to sleep.

I would be upset if i consigned either Williams card....... to see duplicity.

looks like Studes will need to sell that Harley or some blood.....or a certain Rizzuto card.

I seriously question the wisdom of having GAI v. PSA grade them.
    Dan................don't forget to send those flips back to them image

edited to add: speaking of cracking slabs, it will be very very interesting to see how badly centered the Williams 8 oc,
    errr.......I mean the SGC 86 is.
  • Options
    John -

Thanks! Wonder if the Feller 9 is from Bollman's inventory and the SGC 86 is his Williams 9 (OC) crossed over. As for the bigger lot, I think I will wait until the lot murcer mentioned is auctioned off. That would be sweeeet! Guess I won't go broke on this auction.

Happy Thanksgiving!

- Dan

PS. If a 'Slendid Weiner' is anything like a Slender Weiner, then my wife doesn't permit them around! image

Collectable
  • Options

It must be frustrating that they are only offering in PSA a freaking PSA 8 Williams and a PSA 9 Feller....

The serial# of the Feller is 02118584 .....maybe that will help you cross reference its origin.
  • Options

In addition, on the SGC Williams the description says that the centering is slightly low.

Maybe that helps you out.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    is the 66 box a generic one?
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any NM-MT or better vintage BB sets up for auction? Can't wait for the full catalog to post on their website.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    the 66 is a baseball box, the 59 is a generic
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    well Mastro is the best place to sell
    ungraded packs for sure.thanks.
    gee no more 54 williams aaron packs?.
    lol
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any NM-MT or better vintage BB sets up for auction? Can't wait for the full catalog to post on their website. >>

Gemint: There was actually a very nice 1955 Bowman baseball set that was about half in NM to NM/MT condition, with the other half EX or better. I was getting really excited, as I thought it was another set built up from the Paris, TN find (which the auction description supports). However -- all of the PSA graded cards in the set have very different serial numbers -- which tells me that they were purchased that way -- and there is very little chance of getting nice commons from the raw set. Oh well.

I left my catalog back in Boston -- in Philly for the extended weekend. Some things just do not surprise me any longer. I'm used to seeing a bunch of Wilson Franks Williams anymore. The Magie card (which I used to ADORE), seems to be omnipresent -- just a matter of stepping up cash. Heck -- there have even been a large number of Hoblitzell No Stats to boot over the past 2-3 years. 1972 Topps wax boxes are all over the place lately.

A great auction nonetheless. Some very neat items -- and am looking forward to looking through the catalog a lot more closely when I get back to Boston.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.